Should I call? Ahhh!

Delicious_Delilah
on 6/28/14 7:31 am - Ottawa, Canada

Lots of people waited a long time. But I didn't compare notes with anyone. My process was just that:  my process.  If you jump too far ahead, you'll drive yourself crazy. What's worse, if the centre thinks you're not handling it well, they may question whether you can handle this surgery. If I were you, I would just show a bit patience given how close you are.  You are through all the major hurdles, just sit back and relax a bit. It will happen when it is meant to happen. 

Good luck. 

Zizzler
on 6/28/14 8:40 am

Now that they have all my information I will give them time to do their thing.  Thank you for your good wishes.

minou09
on 6/28/14 12:18 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

One part that affected my wait was that the surgeon would schedule 2 patients with a bmi greater than 50 per surgery day and three patients with a bmi less.  His secretary would schedule accordingly not necessarily the date that you saw him.

Referral: June 2012, Orientation: Feb 2013,Meet Surgeon: April 2013; Meet SW, RD, RN May 2013; Meet Surgeon again Aug 2013, Surgery Dec 10, 2013

Zizzler
on 6/28/14 12:56 pm

Good to know - really wish that the procedure was more transparent and that we informed of these types of things beforehand.  It would avoid a lot of confusion.

LilyBugsMommy
on 6/29/14 12:06 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I had another thought....even though someone who met the surgeon the same day as you got their surgery date, it doesn't necessarily mean you would be next to get called. Could be someone who met the surgeon before you, but may have needed to get one more thing done, could get booked before you. Or someone who met the surgeon right after you may have more medical issues that may place them ahead of you for surgery.

These are just thoughts and the type of things that I heard about happening when I was waiting for surgery. Try not to take the wait time personally. I know it is hard, especially with the issues you have had with the booking lady. If it was me, I wouldn't call. I would just wait to hear from them.

I find that people feel like they should get through the process in a certain amount of time. But, everyone gets through as they should. I was 2 years & 2 months from referral to surgery. It's not a race & good medical care takes time. This is something that you definitely do not want to rush through. It is life changing & can be very difficult at times. Take the time to fully prepare yourself.

Good luck!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Zizzler
on 6/29/14 2:57 am

I am now waiting patiently and hoping for the best.  People such as yourself give me strength to keep going.  If you could endure 2 years I can hold on a little longer...thank you 

Nanato2
on 6/29/14 2:37 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Just because you and someone else seen the surgeon on the same day does not mean you will have surgery at the same time. There are a lot of factors that go into surgery such as medical, medical tests to be done and psychological factors. I know somebody who waited for couple of years for surgery because they didn't feel she was ready mentally for the surgery.  If they do not feel you are ready then surgery is postponed. Its also depends on time slots for surgery if they have someone who's surgery may not be as complicated as another person and they only have small amount of time in OR they will schedule that person in before someone that will take longer.

I know you are anxious to have it done but relax your time will come I believe things happen when they are suppose to happen.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Zizzler
on 6/29/14 3:04 am

Of course you are right, I do need to relax.  Wish I had more confidence in the booking system but such is life.  What you wrote reminded me to use the tools I already have to get through this, including cbt and prayer.  I have offered this situation up to a higher power so I can now go free and be happy.  There is nothing more for me to do at this point.  Sometimes you just have to admit that it is out of your hands and hope for the best.

TES
on 6/30/14 12:27 am - Ottawa, Canada

I started the processes darn near 3 year ago.  I met with my surgeon on March 18th and didn't get the surgery date until June 4th.  Don't forget there are 1 small clinic dealing with 1000's of people.  It's hard to keep perspective, I know, but it WILL happen when the time is right for you.

Keep strong!

TES

Zizzler
on 6/30/14 9:41 am

Thank you, and best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery.

Most Active