Map my Ride

Patm
on 6/27/14 4:09 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I will start off saying I am not techie. I use my cell phone for just making phone calls and a little texting. My son told me about a free app called Map my Ride. You can use it for walking, running or biking. I have a fitbit but it does not map bike rides well. I really love it. You connect to gps and it shows you how far you have gone, average speed and calories burned (although I never believe these). You can check it along the way to check where you are.

Laurie C.
on 6/27/14 6:47 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Hey Pat:

that is an awesome app but jus****ch your battery time with the GPS on.  I think my son said it is hard on the battery.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Patm
on 6/27/14 11:30 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

It does seem to run it down fast. Since I ofrten forget to use my phone it is dead half the time. This might actually get me using it. LOL

Onward and
Downward

on 6/28/14 12:25 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Oh, that's too bad about the battery part - my cell phone battery is for the birds. So unfortunately, I won't be able to use this app until I eventually get a new phone! :) (I already changed the battery, but my cell is three years old and they were mostly battery hogs at that time even with new batteries.) Sounds great though!

I wish I could find a nice little electronic tracker that would do swimming and cycling as well as the FitBit tracks running and walking. I looked at the Misfit Shine after Karen and I were talking about it yesterday, and it is apparently waterproof and does track cycling.  But unfortunately it apparently doesn't work well with Android devices (I find it so annoying when devices only work well with Apple stuff), and it doesn't integrate with other apps like MyFitnessPal or have a social media component where you can compare stats with and encourage other friends who have the same device.  And apparently you have to switch it yourself to "cycling" mode using your cell phone (and mine's an Android). It's nice that it has that capability, and probably works great for lots of people, but I usually forget I'm wearing my tracker so I'd never remember to do that.

I'm thinking about getting something that attaches to my bike - a GPS or distance tracker of some kind. That could be fun. But I've heard they're expensive.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

highlandbear
on 6/28/14 1:17 pm - Canada

I have a distance tracker on my one bike. It cost me under 30 dollars. nothing fancy. it is a pain setting the thing up but once it is set up no problem. It will give me the distance and speed. You can get real fancy and spend over 100 dollars but I don't need to be that fancy. I am just a plain jane girl. Keep it simple

Onward and
Downward

on 6/28/14 1:18 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Thanks! I'll look into it too.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

highlandbear
on 6/28/14 1:20 pm - Canada

For swimming just know the length of the pool and count your lengths and you can figure out your distance.  I know that the pool I swim in you need to swim 72 lengths to get a mile.  I time myself and keep count and then at the end i know how i did

Most Active