Will I fit? Travelling by plane tomorrow

Jiliana2
on 6/27/14 12:01 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I'm nervous today.

I had my sleeve done in February and I'm down 90 lbs. All FANTASTIC! I can cross my legs. I've gone from a size 2X or 3X to a 14 or 16. I've had to adjust the seat and mirrors in my car. I am smaller than I was when I was 14 years old... that's 30 years ago for heaven's sake!

But...

Tomorrow morning, I get on a plane. I've flown a LOT in my life and for anyone who is obese, flying is not fun. Sandwiched between people, hoping to get a window seat so I can scooch over and hopefully not intrude on my neighbor's space, hoping my arm doesn't get bruised by the service carts going by, etc. I love to travel and fly, but it's tough when you are so large.

So tomorrow I get on a plane for the first time since I started my WLS journey. I know in my brain that I 'shouldn't' have a problem, but damn, the tape still plays in my mind, you know? I wonder about my hips between the armrests. Will I be able to lower my tray table? Will I be able to reach my bag beneath the seat without huffing and puffing? My brain is running away with my fears and I'm scared of how it's all going to go.

At the other end, when I get off this flight, I see my family. Aunts, uncles, cousins, and my parents, all of whom have not seen me since... oh wow... for some of them it's been about two years since I've seen them! I wonder how they will react. I hope they won't try to sabotage me. I have a plan and I'm going to stick to it, to get my protein in first and watch my eating. I just pray it all goes well.

If anyone can appease my fears, or can relate, I'd love to hear your own experiences. Help me shut off the 'fat tape' playing in my brain!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

CCs_mum
on 6/27/14 12:07 am, edited 6/27/14 12:08 am

Very exciting !  You should take a picture of how much of the seat belt now falls on your lap...

I just got back from Charlottetown and being in a 14 now had no problem with the seat (even on a smaller plane).  No overlap, no need for an extender, my butt did not make the arm rest raise, my elbows even fit inside the seat area.  I could put the tray down no problem.  I got no strange look from the stranger I had to sit beside.  I had a smile on my face the entire time like I had a dirty little secret know one new about...

Even my trip to the loo was fun... I could practically do jumping jacks :-)  Well, at least the hokey pokey :-)

Enjoy your trip!  Hope you have a wonderful time :-)

Have learned that I can't measure my journey only by what I've lost.  I've gained health and extra time on this earth ... that is most important

LilyBugsMommy
on 6/27/14 1:06 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I have not flown anywhere since surgery....but I feel movie seats could be a good indicator as well. I fit so well in movie theatre seats....it is amazing! I think you will be fine on the plane and great during your visit. Hopefully your family will be so happy and excited for you that they will support your eating plan while there. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Patm
on 6/27/14 2:06 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Relax and enjoy the trip. You will have no problems flying. It will actually now be fun

Soon_to_Shrink
on 6/27/14 3:57 am

I fly all the time for work.  I have not had surgery yet but went from 315 down to 270 and maintaining for the last year.  I'm 5'5". At 315, I was always uncomfortable flyng.  Even in the aisle seat I was always leaning out into the aisle as soon as the attendants passed with the cart.  The seat belts just barely fit most of the time - although it was rarely comfortable.  Now at 270 - I fit comfortably in all but the smallest of planes (Porter is still a little tighter than I'd like!).  The seat belt usually has a few inches to spare, armrests are snug but not pressing into me, and the table top lies flat (and not on my stomach!).  I'm a 1-2X, so being a 14-16 you'll have plenty of room.  Try to forget your past negative experiences flying and look at this as a new chapter flying friendlier skies. 

NorthernStar
on 6/27/14 4:34 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

You will be fine. I had the same anxiety before flying last fall, the first time since I lost weight. The last time I had flown, I was put in the emergency seat that had hard sides instead of the regular arm rests. This meant not only did I not fit, but instead of spilling uncomfortable into the next seat I was squished into a seat I did not come close to fitting into. I had to sit kind of on an angle. You better believe the seatbelt did not fit either. I was so upset I did not even ask for an extender, just put the belt across my lap to look like it was buckled (I'm sure I wasn't fooling the flight attendants!)

When I flew after loosing weight, I not only fit comfortable but pulled the seat belt to fit and had a lot of extra room on that belt. I took a picture!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

kathie1212
on 6/27/14 11:59 am - Stoney Creek , Canada

great job on losing the weight and I love how your rehearsing in your mind how to stay on your food program! can't wait to hear how well u do when u get back 

!

Onward and
Downward

on 6/28/14 12:59 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

If you're a size 14, you'll fit, no problem. I hover anywhere between a size 10 and 14 depending on the cut (usually a 12) and I fit with room to spare. I did when I was a 14 last October too.  Congratulations!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

greensleeved
on 6/28/14 1:12 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I think the only thing to do is just DO IT. Then once you see that you do really do fit your feelings should resolve themselves naturally. And you'll look forward to traveling from then on! Yeah!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Most Active