Birth control confusion

Katie M.
on 6/18/14 4:44 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I'm posting here because I have yet to hear back from my clinic, and it might be another good place for info. I need to get on birth control but my doctor is hesitant to give me an IUD because of my age (31) and the fact that I've never had children and might want to some day. He didn't really explain why an iud might cause me trouble, and in my reading it seems as though women who haven't been pregnant still use Mirena or similar. He is really against the depo shot because of weight gain. Which leaves the pill, which won't work since I've had surgery. Has anyone post op without kids used an iud? Any issues getting pregnant or with side effects? I suffer from pretty heinous PMS (I'd almost say it's PMDD but my doc won't diagnose it) and Yaz used to help with that but obviously it had it's own issues. Has anyone had experience with pms related depression and anger getting better with an iud? Thank you ladies!!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Dreamy74
on 6/18/14 5:09 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi Katie I have no experience with IUDs but what about the patch?  I have a few co-workers on it and they swear by it.  Helps regulate hormones too similar to the pill for my one friend with PCOS (I have PCOS too).

Katie M.
on 6/18/14 10:00 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I brought up the patch but my doc was concerned about absorption, he seemed to think I need something more fail-safe. (Maybe he thinks I'm an idiot and would put it on wrong?) I know very little about it, but I'll look in to it :) Thanks!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/14 10:46 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

The patch has a weight limit.  I think if you are over 185 lbs or somewhere around there it isn't effective.  I'd check the weight limit before considering that one.

Katie M.
on 6/18/14 10:56 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Good tip, thanks Tracey :)

19star71
on 6/18/14 5:16 am

I recently got the Mirena so I did a lot of research before hand. The old type of IUD's were not recommended for someone who has not yet had children, but that is no longer the case. If you have a look on the Mirena site, they clearly state its okay for you to use ;)

I had gone to the doctors specifically to get the Depo shot, but my nurse practitioner suggested I try the IUD first. It has a higher cost upfront, but is a one time procedure. It hurts like hell to get inserted, but I'm very happy with it now.

I really wouldn't worry about the Depo shot causing weight gain. Those statistics come from women who haven't had WLS ;)

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

Katie M.
on 6/18/14 10:04 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

That's what I thought about Mirena when I did my own reading, and my doc disagreed with me. He's kind of an old bugger though, so maybe he's just outdated ;) I've heard about the pain during insertion and cramping the first few weeks, but it seems like less time at the doctor's office than the Nuvaring. Unless you insert that yourself, I haven't researched it yet. Anyway, I think it's something I am leaning towards! Thanks!

I laughed when he brought up concerns about weight gain with the depo shot - we had literally just discussed how I have malabsorption now :p

NorthernStar
on 6/18/14 5:51 am, edited 6/18/14 5:57 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I'm in a similar boat. A few years ago I asked my GP about an IUD as I was a good 5+ years away from even considering kids. She told me that she is hesitant to give them to any woman who has not had children. During the insertion or removal, the IUD can cause minor damage that can lead to scar tissue. This can lead to possible difficulty conceiving and possibly increase the risk of miscarriage. In her opinion, the risk with an IUD is small BUT because there are so many other options on the market it was not worth even the small risk. This made sense to me. Many women on this board have had IUDs without having kids and they have no issues at all. Consider the risk, and if you're still interested then you should ask again. IUDs (both hormonal and non-hormonal) are a really great BC option.

The pill is just not suitable to us post-ops. Don't even consider it.
Depo does have a risk of weight gain. It has some other side effects as well so I never really considered it, but again - do your research as it is an option.
There is also the patch. I am a little "meh" on the patch because there can be contact issues and this will mean it will not be as effective. I have no personal experience with it though.

But then we come to my favourite option - and one that women just do not consider often enough! THE NUVARING! It has the same hormones as the pill and has the same minimal side effects. It is 99%+ effective and because it goes in your hoo-ha (I'm not a doctor, I can call it whatever I want) there are NO issues as far as absorption. You put it in, take it out 3 weeks later. It's the same cost as the pill (quite minimal, especially if you have drug benefits). So easy to use, you don't feel it, you don't think about it and it WORKS. I would strongly recommend this to any woman, pre-op or post-op.

I don't have a lot of experience with bad PMS, but do consider there are treatments other than BC that can help with this. You mentioned your doc won't diagnose it - why not?

** REMINDER: All post-op ladies PLEASE use two forms of birth control (i.e. hormonal + condoms) for the first while. (Katie, I know this has nothing to do with your thread but since the topic of BC came up I like to remind people!)

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Katie M.
on 6/18/14 10:07 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Do you insert the Nuvaring yourself or does your doctor do it? I must admit I would be hesitant to do it myself, in case it slips or something... I'm reaaaallly not looking to get pregnant right now! I would still use condoms for the time being because as you say - we're super fertile post-op and I don't need any surprises ;) 

NorthernStar
on 6/18/14 10:23 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

You do it. It's a small, flexible plastic ring. Pinch it, insert it, leave it. Very similar to a tampon. After 3 weeks you take it out for a week to get your period, then after the fourth week you start the process with a new one. You can't feel it, and your partner likely won't either. It can start to slip out a bit, you just adjust it. It's not gonna pop out of you.

(uhhh I think I might have reported your post in error earlier - sorry if I did!!)

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Most Active