New member, saying hello

TES
on 6/19/14 1:27 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi Folks!

I just found this forum today, so thought I'd take a moment to say Hi and introduce myself.  I'm 45 and live in Ottawa and am 2 1/2 weeks away from my RNY surgery at the Civic.  Nervous?  You betcha!  Currently on the Optifast (or as I like to call it, OptiHell) diet (day 4).  I have to admit, I am NOT enjoying it one bit.  I've tried flavourings and additions but the only way I can get through the shake is buy chugging it in one go and gagging a little afterwards.  I have to keep reminding myself it's for the greater good, but I will admit to a few tears ...

Anyway ... more about myself ... I've been obese most of my life, and have most of the classic "fat chick" problems, diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol, joint point ... etc. etc.  It was the thought of potentially being disabled by the age of 50 that finally made me decide to do this.  I don't care about being skinny or looking good in jeans - I just want to be able to walk up a flight of stairs without feeling like I'm going to pass out.  So here I am!

My experience with Dr. Dent and his team at the Civic has been wonderful.  Every question has been answered, and I've never been made to feel ashamed of myself (like some regular doctors had done over the years).  So happy to have found this amazing group of experts.

Looking forward to "meeting" folks here and hearing all your stories.

TES

Soon_to_Shrink
on 6/19/14 3:01 am

I too am from Ottawa and my surgery is scheduled for July 16th at the Civic.  I start my Opti next week with mixed emotions.  Happy to be moving on to the next step but anxious now that I've heard so many people hate Opti.  Who is your surgeon?  I had my meeting with Dr. Mamazza in March but was scheduled with Dr. Neville.  Anxious to find out more about her since we've never met.  Like you, being smaller is just a fringe benefit of the surgery for me, being healthy is what counts.

TES
on 6/19/14 5:05 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks so much for the welcome!  My surgeon is going to be Dr. Yelle, I met with him back in March and quite liked him.   I've met Dr. Neville!  She did my upper GI endoscopy.  She's lovely!  Very down to earth and had a sense of humour.  I think you'll like her. She's young but she definitely seems to know her stuff.

Good luck with the Optifast.  You might not dislike it as much as I do.  I've read about people *****ally enjoy it.  I literally just chug it in one go.  Get it down and move on.  Right now I'm dealing with fatigue and low-grade headaches which I hear is pretty common for the first week.  I'm hoping next week gets easier.  It can't get worse (can it?).

Julie99
on 6/19/14 3:07 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Hi Tes, I'm also through Ottawa and my surgery date is set for August 11th.  Welcome to this forum.  This is an awesome place to ask questions, get tips and information on this whole process.  Good look on optifast! 

Referral: June 26, 2013  Confirmation: July 4, 2013  Orientation(OWMC) Sept.13, 2013  Nurse: Dec. 3, 2013  Nut/Beh: Jan. 28, 2014  Pre-surgical class: Feb. 26, 2014  Meet Surgeon: March 18, 2014  PAU: July 11, 2014  Surgery with Dr. Yelle: Aug. 11, 2014              

anniew72
on 6/19/14 3:23 am

Hi Tes and welcome to the board and a great group of people.

TES
on 6/19/14 5:10 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks so much Annie!

TES
on 6/19/14 5:08 am - Ottawa, Canada
TES
on 6/19/14 5:09 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi and thanks, Julie!  August will be here before you know it ... I hope the summer breezes by quickly for you.

startingmynewlife
on 6/19/14 5:41 am

Hi! 

I'm new too. Started Opti today and I have been blending mine with the magic bullet adding in ice - tastes more like a smoothie than a shake - only two down but it's actually good :)

good luck to you!

Zizzler
on 6/19/14 7:21 am

Welcome to the forum, it is very helpful.  When in March did you meet the surgeon? Still waiting for mine and wondering what others have experienced.  Thanks!

Most Active