Pannilectomy

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/14 6:18 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi

im brand new here and have a few questions.

I had a RNY in April 2012. I've gone from 360 to 180 ish.ive been ohip approved for a pannilectomy. I'm.  Very happy that I was approved but now I'm scared from all of the negative comments from friends. I've worked really hard and think that I would look better after all that hanging skin us gone. It hits my mid thigh. But I'm being told that it will leave me deformed looking and unhappy. I don't have the money to upgrade and now I'm afraid of what I will look like. Is the recovery hard? Does anyone have before and after pictures of just the pannilectomy.? Please help as now I'm terrified.

thank you 

i

sellarsgal
on 6/16/14 7:36 am - Oshawa, Canada

Hi, I haven't had a pannilectomy, but have any of your friends making these negative comments? I think it would be another step in the process to celebrate your new life and weight loss! 

I hope you get responses from those who have had it done, also go online and maybe see if you can find info and pics about it. Have you had an initial visit with the surgeon doing it? I'm sure they can ease your fears. Yes you will probably have a scar. maybe this is what your friends are talking about. But I'm sure the excess skin really bothers you or you wouldn't be wanting it removed! Good luck 

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/14 9:42 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I never had just a panniculectomy but had a full tummy tuck. I have no idea what your friends are referring to as the hanging fat/skin is ugly as hell so anything is an improvement over that.  Will it be as perfect as a tummy tuck, of course not, but it will be a hell of a lot better than the hanging fat/skin. As for the scar, mine is hip to hip and depending on how you heal, your scars may not even be visible.  Mine is so faded you can barely see it.  The hanging skin was better than the fat belly and the hanging skin gone will be better than keeping it. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/14 12:02 pm - Canada

Your friends are mean....I'm pretty sure they don't know what they are talking about. I had a panni but also had an abdominoplasy. I had had some serious surgery and had so many scars, I wanted to look better...and I do. I found it ok to go through...not very painful in comparison to other surgeries I've had. I guess when only the skin is removed...not so painful. Go with your heart and make yourself happy. I'm very pleased with my results.

best wishes and continued success!! You are a Rock Star!!

Sassy75
on 6/16/14 12:18 pm - North York, Canada

How much extra is it approximately to upgrade to a tummy tuck? 

happyteacher
on 6/16/14 9:56 pm

In my case it was $2000.  Best friggin' money I ever spent!  Insurance covered the panni removal. I had it done Dec 19 last year. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Mary A.
on 6/26/14 12:23 am
On June 17, 2014 at 4:56 AM Pacific Time, happyteacher wrote:

In my case it was $2000.  Best friggin' money I ever spent!  Insurance covered the panni removal. I had it done Dec 19 last year. 

I have been on this board for a very long time and my personal experience having had consults from two different plastic surgeons in different parts of the province/

the price for a full upgrade/tummy tuck I was quoted $3,600- 6,000

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Leanne1
on 6/17/14 6:30 am - Newmarket, Canada

I paid almost $10,000 for a full fleur de lis tummy tuck and breast lift. I am super happy with my results!!!

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Kimmiekat
on 6/16/14 12:55 pm

I have not had a pannilectomy, (I'm only 9 weeks out from surgery)but from all the research I've done, statistics show that people who've had them, or tummy tuck tend to do way better with future regain. It helps improve body image. I think your friends aren't very supportive. Look online for before and after pics. There are tons and they aren't bad at all! Imagine how great your going to feel when your all healed! No more sweaty, smelly, hanging skin! Good luck!!

Referral~March 5/13 Orientation~Apr 24/13 SW~June 10/13 RN~Aug 7/13 Sleep Clinic~ Aug 16/13 Sleep Dr~ Sept 3/13 Nut Class~Oct 1/13 Dietician/2nd Sleep Clinic~Nov 1/13 Psych~Nov 8/13 2nd Sleep Dr~Dec 3/13 Surgeon~Dec 6/13 Surgery~Apr 15/14

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/14 9:40 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Thank you for the answers and support. When I met with the dr he said that because I don't have a large muffin top the pannilectomy would be a huge improvement. I had a vertical and horizontal c section so he said it would remove the scars left. I asked if I needed to lose more weight and he said that he has done this on many people that are well over two hundred with very large stomachs in ordered to help them move better go assist in further loss.

its funny that some of my friends are so negative. They pushed me to get the RNY and then when I started to lose weight they kept telling me to stop losing so much, you have a funny shape, your @@@ is so flat, your arms are horrible ,,,,,,,,

My husband keeps telling me wonderful things so I go with that. I went from size 26-28 to an easy 14. The dr says the weight I've lost looks very proportional.

but thank you all for your kind replies. I'm so glad I found this site while looking up pannilectomy. I wish I had know during the RNY !!!

all the best to everyone at whatever stage your at. It sure is an amazing ride. I'm 45 but feel years younger now.

Most Active