Hello from a newby with orientation questions

flowerstrewn
on 6/8/14 2:20 pm

Hello all! A friend of mine who went through this process years ago suggested this forum as a place to come for strong moral support and helpful advice. I'm both excited and nervous as I begin this journey, so that combo sounds very appealing. I look forward to getting to know many of you over the coming months!

I'm writing now because I recently attended my orientation at the Toronto Western Hospital...and I'm sorry to say, it was horrible. The woman they chose to lead the seminar was truly not the right person for the task, as she didn't seem to have the knowledge to field many of our questions. Complicating the proceedings was the fact that her grasp of English was a bit tenuous, making it difficult to understand the complex scenarios she was describing. And there was a further wildcard...I myself am totally blind, so I couldn't follow along with the slides she was showing while she spoke.

With all these factors coming together, the orientation left me with a fair number of what may seem like rudimentary questions. I'm hoping I may be able to get some of them answered here before my first set of appointments at the end of July.

1. Am I correct in believing that the procedure you get is dependent on the doctor's choice rather than the patient's? At this stage I'm far more comfortable with the idea of the Sleeve rather than the Roux en Y, but am under the impression that I don't get much say in the matter.

2. Exactly what kind of screening do you go through via the social work and psychologist?

3. I am a non-smoker, so the smoking rules aren't a concern for me, but what are the medical tests they perform on incoming patients prior to surgery?

4. Beyond the social worker, psychologist and dietician, what other screening do candidates undergo?

5. What exactly are the social/psych teams trying to determine through their assessments? Presumably just trying to weed out people who booked surgery because they want to look good in a bathing suit two months from now, that sort of thing?

6. From what you've heard and/or experienced, is the Sleeve less effective than the REnY or about equally so?

So many thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer. Conngrats to those who have already taken the plunge, and good luck to all my fellow newbies!

Solstice
on 6/9/14 5:49 am
RNY on 11/27/14

Hi Flowerstrewn!

Methinks you need to have a lot of questions answered by the staff at the hospital. In light of your disability, we do have the AODA in Ontario, which addresses accessibility. I would contact this hospital again, and see about another orientation session which is accessible to you, it is the law. This is exactly why every institution was supposed to have a plan, for folks with disabilities. There is an email on this page:

http://www.uhn.ca/corporate/AboutUHN/Accessibility

There is sooo much information, and you should be getting the correct info from the hospital program initially. Those on the forum are very helpful, but this Orientation should be clearing a lot up for you as you start this process.

Good luck!

I am a half newbie btw, LOL.

Solstice

on 6/9/14 7:13 am - Canada

I would take all your questions to your one on ones and explain to them your situation.  They will answer everything for you.  Also each centre is different.  What they do at yours they may not do at mine which is Sudbury Bariatric Centre.  Goodluck on your journey 

Most Active