Back from vacation

Onward and
Downward

on 6/7/14 11:10 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Hey all, nice to see you again. Just catching up a bit on the threads that have been posted this week.  We just got back from a trip to Europe that was a little over 3 weeks long - we went to Denmark, Germany and Netherlands. Had such a great time!

It was interesting travelling post-RNY at goal.  First of all, it was really difficult to plan meals at all since we constantly ate out and had no idea where we would be eating, so I didn't. I just tried to make sure to order things with protein in them. But I also ate things that I wouldn't normally eat. And I discovered that yes, my stomach is quite sensitive to sugar and fat still. I still dump. And I had a few episodes, some of which were unpredictable and some of which were entirely predictable!

One of the things I did when I was away was eating larger meals at longer intervals apart. I didn't really mean to do this but it kind of worked out that way, because my husband doesn't need to eat as regularly as me, and because I didn't notice the time since we were out doing stuff all the time.  I walked a lot more than usual for the first couple of weeks of the trip, and even the last week was pretty good for walking, although we spent more time relaxing. But one thing I did, even though I was having larger meals, was that after a couple of upset stomach episodes, I tried to really be conscious of fullness and stopped eating when full.  And that worked nicely.

I also didn't shy away from rice and bread and carbs. Of course, I didn't eat huge portions of them, but I didn't avoid them either. I had a lot more carbs than I'm used to.  As a result, I thought when I got home I would discover a few extra pounds on the scale.  Nope. I actually LOST two pounds. The day I left, I was 180 lbs. When we returned, I was 177. So, I spent three weeks not tracking my food, eating a higher percentage of carbs than usual, making the occasional mistake and suffering for it, and yet I still managed to maintain.  This is a huge victory for me, because I didn't throw caution to the wind - I did my best to eat moderately while enjoying a few things I might not normally eat (very small portions of them), and it worked out.  It's the first time since surgery that I've felt "normal" - not obsessed with every bite, every calorie, but still able to moderate my intake, eat properly, enjoy my food, and not gain weight.  

This surgery has been such a gift.

Hope everyone is doing well! Looking forward to catching up with everyone here.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Karen M.
on 6/7/14 11:23 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Welcome home! I'm so happy to hear you had such a wonderful time - what a dream vacation!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Onward and
Downward

on 6/9/14 5:47 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Thank you! Yes, it really was. My first time in Europe, and first really long vacation like that. :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Patm
on 6/8/14 5:18 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Welcome home.  Have any photos? Glad the food worked out for the most part. All that walking probably helped.

Hope to see you n Wednesday

Onward and
Downward

on 6/9/14 5:47 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Yes, tons of photos! I'll bring my tablet and show you some on Wednesday night. :) 

OneByte
on 6/8/14 6:54 am - Milton, Canada
RNY on 05/21/14
JJ_
on 6/8/14 7:29 am

Congrats on a great vacation!

Judy

Onward and
Downward

on 6/9/14 5:48 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Thanks!

kellybelly333
on 6/8/14 11:37 pm - Toronto, Canada

Welcome back! it might not have been the first time saying this..but isn't it great LOSING weight on vacation? :-)

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Onward and
Downward

on 6/9/14 5:49 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Yeah, it's really something else. And totally unexpected.  I thought I would gain weight.  And the losing continues - I was 174.4 this morning. Not sure how that happened. I was pretty active on Saturday but a slug yesterday. I guess the secret is, lots of heavy food and wine. LOL. (Kidding of course!)

Most Active