HOW do you get your water in?

GonnaBeSlim
on 6/5/14 10:23 am

I am 3 weeks out (revision from vsg and then complications that landed me in ICU).  Try as I might, I cannot get my water in.  I am lucky to manage maybe 16 oz.  

Please, what are the tricks, since swallowing much at once is impossible.  I have been home a week, and am NOT losing, and it suspect the lack of water intake is to blame.

I'd appreciate any help out there.

G

Delicious_Delilah
on 6/5/14 12:10 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Carry fluids with you absolutely everywhere, even as you walk through the house, and take regular sips. You'd be surprised at how much you can get in this way. Eventually you'll be able to take a couple swallows at once, and slowly increase. 

My regular routine includes bringing a water bottle into the bathroom with me and I drink it as I get ready for work. By the time I'm done, I've drunk a full bottle. Of course ! I'm almost two years pot, but started this habit a few weeks after surgery. It helps!

good luck!

DD

Karen M.
on 6/5/14 12:20 pm - Mississauga, Canada

DD gave you some great strategies. Just sip, sip, sip and then sip some more. Take a water bottle with you everywhere, set an alarm to remind you, make a rule of sipping through commercials when watching TV - anything to get it in you. Good luck.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

KerryF.
on 6/5/14 9:21 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

sugar free flavorings help you to drink bigger swallows..... straight up water is heavy and rolls in a ball in my throat Mio Dasani and Nesfruita make it easy enough for me to drink 4 of those Tervis insulated 24oz glasses of water a day

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Dave_J
on 6/5/14 9:45 pm - Canada

I agree with Kerry.  I found it easier drinking water with crystal light vs. plain water, as plain water would give me a sore stomach.

Started Optifast April 8, 2014, and had surgery May 6, 2014 @ St. Joe's, Toronto, Dr. Lindsay

GonnaBeSlim
on 6/5/14 10:35 pm

Thanks, everyone. Strangely, I find plain water difficult, as well, yet used to love it.

g

Jiliana2
on 6/5/14 10:39 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Yeah, I actually gagged and threw up 'plain' water twice since the surgery. I've always got Mio, Crystal Light, or some other flavouring with me. I keep them at the office, at home, in my purse, anywhere! Try that trick.

And sip all day long. Don't try to get it in at once, or by swallowing in gulps. Sipping all day is really the only way. Keep a water bottle with you at all times. By your bed. By the TV. Sitting at the computer. Reading. Whatever you're doing. I just keep it in front of my sight and it's a visual reminder to pick it up and sip. Every time I possibly can. In the early days, I filled it half full (it'd get too warm if I filled it all the way) and kept it physically in my hand! I never put it down and sipped that puppy until it was empty. I would refill and start again. It might take an hour while I was watching TV or whatever, but it was worth it.

Please keep an eye on your hydration levels. At this stage, I'm sure you know already that dehydration is the main problem that people run into.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

mum2TNT
on 6/5/14 11:59 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Just want to say I love your siggy!!! Very detailed and helps newbies like me see a timeline. Thanks and congratulations on your success so far :)

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

SHMILY
on 6/6/14 1:22 am

I had such dry mouth it wasn't a problem. I also sucked on ice

Surgery Feb 26, 2014. Starting wt 270 lbs

Most Active