Never hurts to ASK! YAY!

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/14 11:01 am, edited 8/13/14 1:31 pm - Toronto, Canada

So... I called TWH today and actually reached a real live person! I simply asked if I could get a closer orientation date, and within one second, BAM, I have now been moved from July 23rd, to June 25! I am pretty impressed with the speed of this, as I was really expecting 12-18 months based on research, and my family members experiences in Guelph.

So far, my referral was sent in mid April, and orientation is booked for June 25th. Not bad at all! Lets hope the remainder aren't months apart. I am just going to keep calling, being overly polite, and requesting those cancellations.

Can't believe I go for orientation in three weeks! I know it is only the beginning, and I have a very far way to go, but it is that first step in this life changing process, and it is exciting.

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/14 2:00 pm

That is great, but to set your expectations, don't expect to be bumped up every time you try to sweet talk them. Its only orientation, other medical appointments are harder to get. You will still have wait times, if it was as easy as calling and being overly polite, in other words kissing ass everyone would be moved up.  Everyone has to wait their turn unfortunately.

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/14 2:07 pm - Toronto, Canada

Oh I understand this, I am just excited to get the process started, that's all. And, I don't kiss ass, I speak kindly, as I do with everyone. I think a lot of people don't call for cancellation checks, and so the ones who are proactive, may luck out here and there. I'm just excited to start the journey, I am sure you can understand that.

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/14 2:38 pm

Oh I certainly understand,we have all been there however when I read .."I am just going to keep calling, being overly polite, and requesting those cancellations." that is kissing ass... we all have done it. But it will only get you so far... 

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/14 2:44 pm
(deactivated member)
on 6/4/14 3:16 pm, edited 6/4/14 3:17 pm - Toronto, Canada

Well I am not going to debate whether or not I ass kissed' I wasn't complimenting or praising them, that is for sure.  I simply called, and was overly polite, because I am sure the ladies at that desk are completely overwhelmed, and would appreciate a kind thankful person on the other end of the phone. I'm still happy about it! And I'll continue to call and check for cancellations every appointment I get. And maybe it will only get me so far, and that's OK, I will still try.

Had my original date been kept, that would have been nearly four months from time of referral, most recent I have seen on here have a timeline of two months from referral to orientation, like you) so now I have that also, and I am happy about it. I am fully prepared to wait the year or longer for the surgery, and always was, but the initial starting process of appointments, will feel like I am now on the journey. Its not like I would have been upset had they said no. Sometimes you luck out, and I don't see the harm in trying. 

mum2TNT
on 6/4/14 11:27 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Good for you girl!!! Ignore the negative comments :)  Some people feel being nice and persistent is ass kissing LMAO  Can't wait to hear how orientation goes, I was just referred the end of May and am waiting for something in the mail?  DId you get a package in the mail?

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/14 2:06 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hey mum!

Thank you for the support! I did get a single page letter in the mail about a month after I was referred giving me my orientation date. I have read on here some get packages with paperwork ect, I did not get this, I just got the letter. Its exciting, ain't no one going to bring this girl down! :)

jaxie77
on 6/4/14 9:28 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

YAY !! Go you :) It is nice when things you are looking forward to come a little sooner ! This process is very long , so it is definitely a bonus when we are bumped up in the line once in a while . 

I have my appointment with my Internist on Monday , and my apoointments with SW/Nut/RN are on July 4th , but while im there on Monday im thinking I will pop down(they are in same building at HRRH) and see if there are any cancellations , cant hurt right ? Lol ! 

All the best, these next few weeks will fly by to you Orientation 

Jax xx 

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/14 2:08 pm - Toronto, Canada

Heya Jax!

Definitely can't help! And I will be crossing my fingers for you! Either way, July 4th is so soon too, so time will fly by before you know it. Still, no harm in asking!

Good luck! xx

Most Active