Optifast info please

Almostthere1966
on 5/30/14 5:42 am - Canada

Hello

I have just received my surgery date and the date o begin Optifast, I have a meetin with a Dietition sometime soon to assist in care with Type 1 diabetes and Optifast diet. Anyways what I am no sure about is when you are on Optifast do you maintain your exercise reime? do you increase your exercise? or do you decrease your exercise activities for each day. I so badly want the same results I have been reading about of the 40 + weiht lose before surgery but am also scared. Any advice please.

Thanks

Kathy

Caroline K.
on 5/30/14 6:18 am

I kept the same exercise regime while I was on Optifast without any problems. I only lost 15 lbs on it, but I was also only at 266 when starting, so not as much to lose in the first place as some. Either way, I figure 15 lbs in two weeks is pretty good when it's considered good to lose 2-3 lbs a week by more traditional methods. Besides, the purpose is to shrink the liver and as many people say, it's not a race...

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Almostthere1966
on 5/30/14 6:48 am - Canada

Thanks Caroline, no no races here by any means nobody to compete with except myself :) I am still rying very hard o increase my exercise before I begin the Optifast, The weather is much nicer and walkin outdoors is much easier now so no more excuses for me at least. I manage about half a block with the assistance of a walker and am aiming for the entire block for about 12 more days. Baby steps just baby steps yet

Kathy

Caroline K.
on 5/30/14 9:32 am

Good for you! Doing something is way better than doing nothing, and every little bit will help.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

highlandbear
on 5/30/14 11:38 am - Canada

I was in the pool the whole time and I was on the stuff for 3 weeks.  Towards the end I had one day that I had to cut the swim down. Life was normal for me. I still worked and exercise and cook for my husband and did a Thanksgiving dinner for the family. 

Jiliana2
on 5/31/14 11:07 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I did Opti for three weeks, and I kept my regime and on many days, increased it! I was on vacation in Florida for two of the three weeks on Opti, and thus not sitting behind my desk or tied to a routine/schedule and we got out LOTS! I did Disney about a week and a half before surgery and walked til my feet fell off! Ouch! Well worth it though. 

The only thing I did was increase my fluid intake to keep up with the hydration issues while on vacation and exercising so much. It was worth it. I lost 26 lbs on Opti in three weeks. Amazing stuff. 

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Julie99
on 6/1/14 12:34 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14
Almostthere1966
on 6/1/14 12:57 am - Canada

Thanks everybody please continue with ideas as some are doable and others not but any idea is better then nothing at this point. I would also like to know about the charts I see on many of the botom of pages, starting weight, weight lost each step and date etc. How do we go about creauing this please.

Thanks again everybody time for a shower and I am thinking tee shirt and track pants today then a half a block walk maybe more cause feeling good but tired easily.

Kathy

Jiliana2
on 6/1/14 7:47 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I got a book from Ottawa's Weight Management Clinic with a few Optifast Recipes inside. Here you go: 

Chocolate and Orange Shake
10-12 oz water
crushed ice
1 chocolate Optifast
1-2 drops orange extract
Blend until thick. 

Raspberry Dream
10-12 oz water
crushed ice
1 vanilla Optifast
Raspberry Crystal Light
Blend until thick. 

Chocolate Pudding
2 cubes ice, crushed
6-8 oz water
1 chocolate Optifast
Blend until thick. 

Cinnamon Apple Shake
6-8 oz sugar free apple Kool-Aid
1 vanilla Optifast
3 dashes cinnamon
Blend ingredients; serve chilled. 

Mint Chocolate
1 chocolate Optifast
1/4 tsp mint extract
1 packet calorie free sweetener
Blend and enjoy. 

Optifast Iced Tea
6 oz cold sugar free iced tea
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 vanilla Optifast
ice cubes to taste
Whip in blender until frothy. 

Other ideas: 

• pinch of allspice in vanilla Opti
  • pinch of cinnamon in vanilla Opti OR 1/8 tsp in chocolate Opti
  • pinch of cloves in either vanilla or chocolate Opti
  • 1/8 tsp ginger in either vanilla or chocolate Opti
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg in either vanilla or chocolate Opti

Blend with cold water to your preferred consistency and/or serve over ice. 

Almostthere1966
on 6/2/14 11:10 am - Canada

Thanks for the instrucions on usein Optifast holy cow I read those off to my husband and he wants desert LMAO I told huim only if he ets into the program to until then I get to try them but he has to make them ehheheh I do love my man he is good o me

Kathy

Most Active