Side effects of starting Opti??

Brittany_31113
on 5/28/14 11:18 am

Hey all, just a quick question...

I have been talking to a few people and they are telling me i should take the first few days that im on Opti off work. Apparently there are some side effect you can get like: shakes, dizzy, seeing spots, sick to your stomach... ect

So my question to all of you is... do you advise me taking the first few days (4 or 5) off work? Did any of this happen to you?

Oh btw i work at Canadian tire and am on my feet/running around like a mad woman all day lol

Thanks,

Brittany 

LilyBugsMommy
on 5/28/14 12:16 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

My experience was not bad enough to miss work. I had bad headaches the first 3-4 days & was very tired, but it was do-able. After the 4th day I started feeling great-better than pre-Opti!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

otmama
on 5/28/14 12:18 pm
RNY on 04/30/14

I had the same worries - I work in community healthcare so a lot of driving & on the road for the majority of the day.  I was fine.  At about day 3 diarrhea started - but it was manageable and I promptly started Metamucil capsules:)  1 capsule with each shake at first and then 2.  I didn't experience any dizziness, excess fatigue or anything & I also have diabetes so this was a real concern for me.  I actually felt really great while on Opti - the only challenge for me was getting to a blender during work hours - on the road!  But I made it work:)  I wouldn't waste vacation/sick days - just play it by ear & see how you are when you start:)  Best of luck!

Orientation Session:  April 2013  Sleep Study:  July 1/13  Abdominal Ultrasound: July 16/13  Endoscopy: October 23/13  Pre-Surgical Class:  Dec 11/13  Surgeon:  Jan 6/14  PATTS:  April 4/14 Optifast: April 9/14  RNY Surgery: April 30/14

highlandbear
on 5/28/14 12:20 pm - Canada

I work out in the community traveling to different homes by bus and walking and I never took time off until I went for surgery. I was also in the pool every day swimming over a half mile and do there work out that they have. 

Delicious_Delilah
on 5/28/14 12:26 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Nope, didn't take any time off. Didn't feel sick on opti. In fact, being busy at work helped...didn't think about food so much especially in first few days. 

DD

KarenHope
on 5/28/14 12:40 pm
RNY on 04/15/13

I had given up caffeine long before Opti so I had no headaches. I know some people get headaches even though they were off caffeine too . I took metamucil caplets as suggested and increased them to 2 per shake and was nice and regular the whole 3 weeks. I used stainless steel coffee mugs to take my opti with me if I could not get to a blender. Everybody is different though. All the best as you prepare for surgery.

Karen

Referral Oct '11 Orientation Ottawa Dec 9 '11 NP June 25 '12 Sleep Clinic July 27 '12 

Tr to Kingston Aug '12  NP/SW/Nut Oct 1 '12 Pre-Op class - Dec 12 '12 Surgeon  Mar 4 '13    Surgery Apr 15 '13     

HW 304 CW 175 GOAL 150  

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/14 2:20 pm

There is no reason to take time off work, all you are doing is drinking a meal replacement drink. Yes you may have a headache or 2 maybe a little opti trots but no reason to take time off work.

4-Jane
on 5/28/14 2:26 pm - Canada

Opti was easy on me I took one Metamucil with each shake, and carried in a large thermos crushed ice and ewber cold water ,then had a large blender ball cup with my dry powder opti in it mixed it like crazy just before I drank it.  I think the secret to opti is drinking water in between. I was not really hungry nor bothered by the no eating.  I did need tons of bathroom breaks as all the water went right through me, and near the end I felt a bit dazed or slow in my thinking which bugged me as I'm unaccustomed to any altered state and like to be alert and bright.  I took one day of at the very end to better prepare my self for surgery and travel..... Best wishes on your journey

Respectfully Jane
michellecowles
on 5/28/14 9:27 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

Today will be my 7th day on opti and I have had no side effects whatsoever! I know it affects people differently so I would just see how it goes first, and if you feel like you need some time off then so be it :) 

-Michelle

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

NorthernStar
on 5/28/14 10:35 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I was hungry and miserable, but I had no real side effects. You should be fine to work. I wanted to be at work, I didn't want to be home alone where I might go off the plan.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Most Active