getting discouraged

new_me180
on 5/27/14 12:15 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks a lot, that's so nice of you.

Patm
on 5/26/14 9:30 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I understand how only 7 lbs could be discouraging when you are working so hard. With only weighing yourself once a month you are only seeing one day. The next day could have been lower. I am not suggesting you weigh more often but understand our bodies fluctuate. Also many have found that when there is a slow down on the scale the inches are coming off. Your body is going through a lot of changes and they are not always reflected on the scale. Did you measure yourself before you started? Are you going down in clothes sizes?

Try some new sizes and see if this is where the changes are.

You are doing great and there will be slow downs. Try to ride them out and realise this is a life change that will happen for you.

Good luck

new_me180
on 5/27/14 12:43 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks Patm. I think weighing myself more will just get me more in a tizzy if things don't go my way. I will eventually get one later on but right now, i don't think i'm ready to have one in my house. I think that's what happening right now with the inches. I have a fews shirt that didn't fit well last month are now fitting better. Unfortunately, i didn't measure myself at the beginning so i can't really compare she the scale isn't moving.

Thanks for the support, greatly appreciate it. 

DreamingforTomorrow
on 5/26/14 9:38 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/19/13

I had this same sense of disappointment. When I went for my 6 month check-in at the clinic, I had lost "only" 85 pds since surgery. The weight loss clinic was very happy with my loss but I wasn't. They questioned me as to why I wasn't happy and I had a good talk with them about expectations. As time moves away from surgery, you lose slower. I am 11 months out and it is no longer reasonable for me to expect to lose 10 lbs a month (eventhough I really want to!!) and I work out like an absolute beast 6 days a week.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that I had to take a step back and look at the big picture. Was I doing anything wrong to sabatoge myself? A few times along the way I've had to be honest with myself and say, no you are doing great and you are on track and the scale doesn't always show the results of your effort but you know inside that you are doing good. Other times I've had to say, yup, you've eaten chocolate like 4 times this week...get with it girl!!! This is a long road.

So, my only advise is to congratulate yourself on the awesome job you have done so far and really self-evaluate everything you eat and do. If you know you are doing what you need to be doing, then keep it up!

new_me180
on 5/27/14 12:38 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

What you say is true but, i'd love to say i'd eaten chocolates a few times a week but i don't. I even feel guilty when i eat a quest bar. I have sugar free candies that i bought last year and i stay away from them because of fear of relapse. I realize it's a long road and just have to accept how my body works through this journey because i can't make it work any other way. Thanks for the support and words of encouragement.

LilyBugsMommy
on 5/26/14 10:20 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Along with what others have said about the need to up your calories and the fact that you are doing awesome, I would just like to add that your body can only do so much. It needs to slow down and catch up with itself sometimes. If you push too hard it is just going to try all the harder to hand onto everything is has...this is why people stall, etc. Your body has to have time to adjust to all of the weight lost. I understand it can be frustrating, but, you are doing amazing! Think long term success and not short term gratification.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

new_me180
on 5/27/14 12:39 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks Lilybugs

PepperBB
on 5/27/14 12:56 am - Canada

Heya,

I feel your frustration, I work out about 6x a week. My weightloss has slowed to nothing and I am 7 months out. I am very regimented, but what they are saying is right, your body will starve if you are burning more or almost as much as you take in, which means it stores whats left. When I was at my last appointment, they told me to ease up on the gym, on the days I got to the gym, I make sure to up my caloric intake to 1000 or over. Feel free to PM and I can send you some of my daily meals, I am a fitness pal freak. LOL

Good Luck!! 136 pounds is amazing! You have pretty much lost an entire Kardashian!...JJ

Have a great day and keep up the hard work!

Katie

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

Patm
on 5/27/14 1:45 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

136 pounds is amazing! You have pretty much lost an entire Kardashian!

Love this LOL

new_me180
on 5/27/14 12:29 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Which Kardashian? Not Kim, her butt alone is 136 pounds, lol.

Most Active