2+ year surg-aversary

avivaps
on 5/23/14 3:41 am
RNY on 02/28/12

Hi All,

A bit of an update on my journey.  I know when I was early in the process I loved to hear about those a few years out.

I had my RNY Feb 2012 at the age of 43.  I had a BMI of 40.  I had a relatively easy course post op and the pounds seemed to melt nicely away.  I didn't have any difficulty tolerating food and I followed the program diligently.

I began exercising regularly and built up to running (a totally new experience for me).  I ran my first 5K about 8 months after surgery - it was WONDERFUL.  I felt like I could conquer the world!  Last year I ran a 10k (ran the whole way) and later signed up for a 1/2 marathon (which I completed but did not run the whole thing).

I feel wonderful.  I cannot catalogue all the benefits or subtle ways my life has improved.  I walk in public and feel normal.  I can bend down, walk up stairs without getting winded.  My thighs don't chafe after walking 10 minutes.  My feet have even shrunk!  I'm down from a size 8 to a 6 1/2-7.  I can sit behind the steering wheel and not have my belly rub it.  I can shop anywhere...well maybe not in plus stores anymore :) I could go on and on.

Now for the challenges.  My eating demons resurfaced.  I have battled with 10lb up and down but most frightening of all is they way I relate to food - if I kept this up I would eventually get back to where I started.  I can truly understand now what they mean when they say the surgery is just a tool.  If you are an emotional eater or have some sort of eating problem you MUST be willing to put in the work to deal with these issues.  I knew going in that this was a problem for me.  I started seeing a psychologist prior to surgery and have continued to see her about 1/month since.  I have tried to take advantage of all opportunities.  I attend monthly support group, I enrolled in a mindfulness eating course and recently completed a 6 week CBT based course through my bariatric centre.  There are no quick fixes.  None of these makes my eating demons go away.  But I have started doing the work myself.  I am trying to journal regularly (not a natural thing for me).  I have started working on the Mind over Mood workbook and REALLY work to understand the process.   

I have begun to understand how much I have to learn about acknowledging  my emotions and dealing with them in a healthy way.  I am learning to be less judgemental of myself and to work on my confidence and self-care.

I know enough people post-op who have regained significant amounts of weight that I don't want to face the same fate.  I believe I have been given an incredible gift and I don't want to lose the amazing benefits I have experienced so far.

I have committed myself to keep working (and it IS hard work).  Every day, every moment is a challenge.  It would be easier to just give up.  But that is NOT what I want for myself.  It would be foolhardy to face the same situation, do the same things and expect different results.  This time I am moving forward with hope, with determination, with forgiveness and with kindness toward myself.

Hopefully, when I check in again next year, I will be able to say that despite all the challenges (or because of them) I have remained strong, have learned a lot about myself and am happier with who I am than ever.

Hang in there everyone and continued success to us all.

Andrea.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

1HealthyMomma
on 5/23/14 4:27 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

Thank you for posting this and best of luck with your continued success.

Take Care

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

Delicious_Delilah
on 5/23/14 7:09 am, edited 6/4/15 12:26 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Hi All,

A bit of an update on my journey.  I know when I was early in the process I loved to hear about those a few years out.

I had my RNY Feb 2012 at the age of 43.  I had a BMI of 40.  I had a relatively easy course post op and the pounds seemed to melt nicely away.  I didn't have any difficulty tolerating food and I followed the program diligently.

I began exercising regularly and built up to running (a totally new experience for me).  I ran my first 5K about 8 months after surgery - it was WONDERFUL.  I felt like I could conquer the world!  Last year I ran a 10k (ran the whole way) and later signed up for a 1/2 marathon (which I completed but did not run the whole thing).

I feel wonderful.  I cannot catalogue all the benefits or subtle ways my life has improved.  I walk in public and feel normal.  I can bend down, walk up stairs without getting winded.  My thighs don't chafe after walking 10 minutes.  My feet have even shrunk!  I'm down from a size 18 to a 6 1/2-7.  I can sit behind the steering wheel and not have my belly rub it.  I can shop anywhere...well maybe not in plus stores anymore :) I could go on and on.

Now for the challenges.  My eating demons resurfaced.  I have battled with 10lb up and down but most frightening of all is they way I relate to food - if I kept this up I would eventually get back to where I started.  I can truly understand now what they mean when they say the surgery is just a tool.  If you are an emotional eater or have some sort of eating problem you MUST be willing to put in the work to deal with these issues.  I knew going in that this was a problem for me.  I started seeing a psychologist prior to surgery and have continued to see her about 1/month since.  I have tried to take advantage of all opportunities.  I attend monthly support group, I enrolled in a mindfulness eating course and recently completed a 6 week CBT based course through my bariatric centre.  There are no quick fixes.  None of these makes my eating demons go away.  But I have started doing the work myself.  I am trying to journal regularly (not a natural thing for me).  I have started working on the Mind over Mood workbook and REALLY work to understand the process.   

I have begun to understand how much I have to learn about acknowledging  my emotions and dealing with them in a healthy way.  I am learning to be less judgemental of myself and to work on my confidence and self-care.

I know enough people post-op who have regained significant amounts of weight that I don't want to face the same fate.  I believe I have been given an incredible gift and I don't want to lose the amazing benefits I have experienced so far.

I have committed myself to keep working (and it IS hard work).  Every day, every moment is a challenge.  It would be easier to just give up.  But that is NOT what I want for myself.  It would be foolhardy to face the same situation, do the same things and expect different results.  This time I am moving forward with hope, with determination, with forgiveness and with kindness toward myself.

Hopefully, when I check in again next year, I will be able to say that despite all the challenges (or because of them) I have remained strong, have learned a lot about myself and am happier with who I am than ever.

Hang in there everyone and continued success to us all.

Andrea.

avivaps
on 5/23/14 8:04 am
RNY on 02/28/12

Thanks!  You look like you have certainly come a long way yourself!  Congrats on your personal success and may we all find our way through to good health for the long term.

Andrea.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Patm
on 5/23/14 11:11 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

We are at about the same place in this journey. I too have found it challenging to deal with my emotions. I think your post is important so pre-ops hear what the challenges are. I wish you luck with coming to grips with your demons

Most Active