Constipation help

TiffanyandCo
on 5/22/14 1:30 am - Canada

Hey guys, I hate to admit it but I'm an constipated.... I don't know what to do, I have been taking the stool soffeners but nothing is coming out. Any suggestions on what I can do or any over the counter meds I can take I help?

reenie33
on 5/22/14 1:38 am

I think the nurse told me to take inulin, then if that didnt help take fiber supplements, I use benefibre in my water. It is so hard at first to get all of your water in (I know) But it is imperative that you at least come close to the recommendations. Straining over a BM isnt good for your newly healing tummy etc.

Coco2013
on 5/22/14 1:49 am

Water, fiber and more water AND fiber, I know its a bit late but I feel your pain. I was in the same boat your in now.  What finally worked for me was drinking a big glass of milk because I'm lactose intolerant and it got things moving fast.  Suppositories work so don't be afraid just to use them to get yourself going.

I hope you get some relief soon its not a good spot to be in right now with all the other lessons  you must deal with.

Good luck

LilyBugsMommy
on 5/22/14 2:10 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Not sure how far out you are, so, you should probably double check this with your clinic, but, in Ottawa they told me I could take Restoralax everyday. I am 14 months out and was told this at my 1 year appointment. I have had severe issues with constipation ever since surgery. So, I am not sure if they tell everyone that or just people with constant, severe issues...I would ask your clinic to be sure, but, this is what I do! Plus, I take two colace everyday....have since surgery. Good luck!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Catw
on 5/22/14 3:03 am - Arnprior, Canada

To get going, Milk of Magnesia works well.  If you feel that you have a lump that's not moving, ducolax supositories work well too. 

Afterwards, make sure you're drinking enough water (you will need more when it's warm out, or are exercising).  Sometimes fiber will help as well, depending on how far along you are.

Cathy

Jiliana2
on 5/22/14 10:30 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I was told to try Milk of Magnesia (didn't do a thing for me, except make my tummy rumble), or I could have Restoralax, or Laxaday. I also tried Senokot pills, and they didn't do a whole lot either by that point.

When stool softeners, laxatives and MoM didn't work, I went the route of a warm water enema at home. We have a ho****er bottle with the attachments for an enema so I used that. Those are available at any drugstore, if you'd rather try an enema at home instead of going to a hospital. Some people also buy the Fleet brand enemas from the drugstore. That worked for me and got me out of the immediate need for relief.

When I had it all sorted out, I started taking two docusate sodium capsules, one Senokot, and 6 tsp of inulin fibre per day to stay on top of this. It's still a problem, but I'm doing my best to keep it under control. I hope you can find a solution. It's not fun. I went almost three weeks without a BM, so I know what you're talking about.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

White Dove
on 5/22/14 11:05 pm, edited 5/22/14 11:05 pm - Warren, OH

I have a large jar of Fleet suppositories and a box of Fleet enemas. 

I take Citucel fiber every evening at bedtime.

99% of the time the Citucel is all that I need but I keep the suppositories and enemas available in case I do get constipated. 

If it happens, I will treat it, rather than suffer through it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Braceface
on 5/22/14 11:31 pm
RNY on 04/24/14 with

This was (is) a major problem for me. The solution is realy how far along the constipation cycle you are. If you are just constipated then an enema or suppository will work uncomfortable wonders. If things have gone further and you have reached impaction (you cannot physically pass the stool) then you have two difficult choices, you can go to the ER and have someone get up in there or you can bite the bullet and prefereably using exam gloves and lubricant help yourself. As horrific as this is it will give you relief. What you do not want to do is push so hard that you tear yourself and have a serious injury.

Obviously I have had issues that caused me to do the unthinkable. Since then I have been doing two things. Firstly focus on water, you have to get fluids into keep things moving. Secondly I have been taking a warm drink of NAtural Calm which is supposed to help with mood but also keeps you moving as it  is a citrus flavored magnesium drink. We get it through Amazon.

I hope this helps.

Most Active