Expectations prior to Surgery

cyko_chika
on 5/19/14 9:53 pm - Canada

Hi there, I am new and am going for my post op nutrition class May 26 in Guelph. I have been making the changes with eating and such slowly, but I was wondering what the clinic and surgeons expect to see on the scale prior to surgery. Do they want to see weight loss, maintain, etc. I am obsessed with the scale right now and would hate to be refused for the surgery. Advise, experiences anyone?

RYMEBE73
on 5/20/14 12:19 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

I believe all they are looking for is that you're not gaining weight...maintaining, loosing a little, changing your eating habits, getting more active/exercise are all pluses.  For me, the first time around I was denied the surgery because I had lost too much weight from referral to the first RN/SW/Nut appt with no major comorbidities.  This time, I am making healthier changes, but not going to do any crash diets (while waiting for that first appt I had joined Nutri-system in the summer where I had lost 20lbs)  Yeah me, but a year later I was back up to where I was at my referral...so here I am again, going through the whole process again and crossing my fingers that this time everything will go more smoothly.

Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things.  It just means you have to accept what happened and continue LIVING  

Cloud
on 5/20/14 12:30 am

I am so happy I read this!

I lost too much recently and my bmi dropped under 35. My doctor kind of whispered to me to gain a bit before the dietitian appointment. But my eating habits are drastically changed. I eat no sugar, eliminating junk food, etc. Now I'm trying to just maintain a 40 bmi. So freakin' weird.

cyko_chika
on 5/20/14 12:35 am - Canada

Wow, so they just said no you lost too much weight. I didnt know they actually refused people. I am nervous now. I havent gained weight but havent really lost any either. Do you know of anyone else in the may 26 nutrition class. 

RYMEBE73
on 5/20/14 12:51 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

My BMI was 36 with no comorbs so no I didn't qualify anymore, I had no idea that that would happen, I had thought they would go with your referral weight but then they passed my file onto the new non-surgical bariatric program that they just started.  I went through that, just finished the year this month and low and behold for me it didn't work as well as I had thought it would, I found myself just as hungry if not more so trying to plan my meals etc..., I know with the surgery it's just a tool, but if my stomach isn't constantly "growling" feeling empty, I know I will be successful.  

Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things.  It just means you have to accept what happened and continue LIVING  

cyko_chika
on 5/20/14 12:55 am - Canada

Oh I know what you mean. Ive tried all the fad diets and sure they work at first but after you gain it all back plus. I am sure I will still qualify just was nervous as I didnt know if they expected weight loss. Thanks for your info tho. I dont have many to chat to about this ;) 

Linsie
on 5/20/14 8:58 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

Hello,

I lost about 8lbs I believe from my very first appointment at the bariatric clinic to the last visit before surgery - which is in two days, sooo excited! Basically, they want to make sure you're not gaining any weight, and to make sure your weight goes down a bit purely from eating better and healthier. They told me that they look for you to lose from 5-10lbs through the process, before opti of course. I wish you good luck!

mandygarden
on 5/20/14 11:55 am - Thunder Bay, Canada

Hello!!  I love this forum! I love that there are people out there who are going through exactly what I am feeling!  I guess I am considered a "light weight" but I have lots of co-morbidities.  I am almost done all of my appointments and just waiting for a surgery date (I think sometime late August).  I have bought a fit bit and I love it.  I'm using it with the myfitnesspal app and things have been going well for the past month.  I have lost a few pounds but I was concerned that I may not qualify anymore.  It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that they want you to eat healthy, exercise etc but then all you do is questions yourself on whether or not you need the surgery.  This process is so hard on my emotions and my mind is spinning all the time.  I know this process is the right thing for me and my health and I'm not questioning that, but I guess I wi**** just moved along a little faster!  Sorry about the vent.  I knew you guys would understand. 

Referral - August 2013  Orientation - October 2013  Intake - November 2013  Nurse Practitioner - March 2014  Surgical Orientation - April 2014 Psychometrist - April 28, 2014  Nutritionist - May 5th, 2014  Ultrasound - May 21, 2014 Internest - July 29, 2014 Meet with Surgeons - August 7, 2014 PreOP - Aug 18th  Scope - Aug 19, 2014 SURGERY AUGUST 27th!!!!!!

bikinibound2014
on 5/21/14 1:32 am

The Guelph clinic is very sticky with people that gain weight - even a little (5 lbs +). Don't be concerned that you haven't lost -- they would much rather see you maintain your weight than gain anything

HW 277.0 CW 273.0 Asked for Referral February 2013; Orientation @ Guelph May 16th, 2013; First Appointments July 24th; Nutrition Class August 7th; Second Appointments (& cleared) August 29th; Post Op Class December 9th; meet surgeon January 9th; PATTS Jan 14; Opti starts January 21; Surgery February 11th!

Most Active