Everybody Poops...well, almost everyone

19star71
on 5/14/14 12:32 am

Having spoke to my nurse, she suggested I take a daily fiber supplement. I understand the importance and danger of not pooping, but there is a nagging thought in the back of my head that I just can't get passed. It just feels so unnatural. Maybe too many years of hearing horror stories of laxative weight loss stories.

I'm interested in hearing how you deal with it. 

Can the body become reliant on the supplement?? Is it a short term remedy until I can consume enough fibre on my own?? Do you take it daily or only when necessary?? etc, etc

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

Catw
on 5/14/14 3:00 am - Arnprior, Canada

I didn't have any "regular" problems but a few times in the first couple months I had constipation.  I'd need to take either MOM or Ducolax supositories.  They worked, but it wasn't fun because I was solving the problem, not preventing it.  I wouldn't worry about your body becoming reliant.

One thing to keep in mind, make sure you're drinking your water.  Especially with the summer heat coming.

Cathy

Coco2013
on 5/14/14 3:54 am

I can tell you that no matter how much you feel that it won't happen to you it will sneak up on you and cause problems.  Drink water take fibre..benefibre and fiberific are both good... because the alternative is not.  Take it daily until you have a routine in place.  Track your BM because it can get confusing. Your days run into each other and before you realize its been a week and your in trouble.  Your not abusing laxatives your preventing a problem from doubling you over in pain.  Good luck

Cathy

Patm
on 5/14/14 4:36 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I has taken me two years to get regular and I still at times have problems. It is really important not to become impacted. A fibre supplement is not a laxative. You will be able to find a solution when further out and can have different foods.

Needanewbeginning
on 5/14/14 6:41 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I had nothing but issues postop with this. I seriously had to use clearly fibre daily until about 6 months out. Make sure its not Metamucil, that isn't the right type of fibre supplement our body can use well. That one binds and globs. You need an Inulin fibre product. Many stores carry their own brand, I just got into a habit of adding it to a few bottles of water a day, add flavour if you want like crystal light. 

It's much worse to have a constipation issue than the fear of a habit of needing the product to 'go'. The further out you get, you will have more variety in foods and this of course helps.

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

pedlsanCAN
on 5/14/14 12:34 pm - Meaford, Canada
RNY on 09/04/12

I run into problems if I don't get in enough fibre.  I make a heavy orange/bran/nut muffin and have one for my breakfast almost everyday.  These are NOT cake/Tims like at all - either in size (smaller), texture, or sugar content.  I do like them a lot and they keep me moving.  Just a thought!

Cheers,

Sandy

Most Active