Things I have learned about life on Optifast (after 4 days)

FangirlsHandbag
on 5/11/14 6:05 am

1) Vanilla Optifast was created by the Devil, THE DEVIL I TELL YOU!!!

2) If you have to drink vanilla Optifast add flavouring, any flavouring. Do not scrimp on flavouring (current flavour favorite is Pomegranate Cherry Daisani Drops)

3) Adding decaf coffee crystals to chocolate Optifast makes it taste *almost* like Count Chocula cereal (don't judge me)

4) A hand blender is a must. Drinking Optifast blended with ice to a smoothie consistency tastes much better than when you blend it with water.

5) Serving Optifast in a wine glass or parfait cup makes it seem more of a treat. Eating it with a spoon is almost like eating ice cream. Not really, but pretend anyway.

6) Make sure you get your water. Dehydration headaches are not fun.

7) Benefiber is your friend.

8) Eat dinner with your family. If you have kids, they are probably worried about you. Keeping things as normal as possible helps.

9) A clean kitchen makes life so much easier, especially if your husband has a habit of making really great smelling food.

10) Going to the grocery store to buy your child's birthday cake is a special kind of Hell.

Cheers.

C

Orientation (HRRH): 09/23/13 - First Surgeon Meeting (Dr. Huynh): 01/10/13 - Consults (SW/NC/RD): 12/12/13 - Optifast: 05/08/14 - Surgery: 05/29/14

LilyBugsMommy
on 5/11/14 6:49 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

LOL!! OMG!! All so true and funny at the same time, sorry! This just made me laugh :) And I love Count Chocula!! Try adding bakers cocoa to the vanilla if you don't mind the chocolate Opti....1 TBSP per shake :)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Zizzler
on 5/11/14 7:31 am

lol awesome!

PepperBB
on 5/11/14 8:21 am - Canada

LMAO!! Best and truest post ever!! Uggghh if I only knew then what I know now. Flavour! flavour! Flavour!

Cheers to chocolate flavoured opti! (Prior to my opti days, I didn't even like chocolate) lol

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

TanyaLH
on 5/11/14 8:46 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/31/13

Glad to see you still have your sense of humour....lol

kimber291
on 5/11/14 9:16 am, edited 5/11/14 9:16 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

LOL great post!! 

I thought the chocolate was the evil one. I mixed my vanilla with orange pineapple banana crystal light. It was my best friend. Some days I miss that drink! I used my magic bullet 6-8 ice cubes and a cup of water. Voila!! Loved it!!

Chocolate I mixed with decaf coffee or raspberry crystal like. Tasted light chocolate raspberry truffle...but still didn't top my vanilla yummy!! 

Thanks for the laugh...haha

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

JJ_
on 5/11/14 9:41 am

LOL,

Yes, so I heard that the Vanilla Optifast was the most detested flavour, that is why when I did Optifast I did 3 weeks of chocolate.  In Ottawa, they recommend Metamucil capsules.  It was easy to swallow them with the Optifast.  Why did you go to get the cake?  Could hubby not have gone?

Good luck with your upcoming surgery date.

Judy

FangirlsHandbag
on 5/12/14 12:12 pm

Hey JJ,

Friday was a crazy, crazy day. My husband was sitting in the ER with my middle daughter, getting a cast put on her broken wrist. I was picking up our youngest boy and it was the only time we had to buy a cake for my oldest daughter.

I got through it and I'm stronger for it. Also, hubby now owes me *BIG TIME*!

Cheers!

C

Orientation (HRRH): 09/23/13 - First Surgeon Meeting (Dr. Huynh): 01/10/13 - Consults (SW/NC/RD): 12/12/13 - Optifast: 05/08/14 - Surgery: 05/29/14

Linsie
on 5/11/14 9:42 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

BAAHAHAHA You know, you're totally right on all counts! I am on my.....12th day of optifast and after that vile-nilla, I had to swap it out. I am on the opti for 3 weeks, and was able to swap the vanilla for chocolate from the bariatric clinic (I go to the one in Guelph). I add a tad bit of decaf coffee, and either peppermint extract, or I use almond extract and it's actually really good. Nothing helps that vanilla. I did add a crap load of coffee to it, and it made it tolerable - with the almond extract. But man...it's like being on survivor! I'm fairly sure Nestle has no idea what vanilla actually tastes like. Good luck with your vanilla, flavour the crap out of it!

Most Active