Wow... Hair Loss

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/14 11:41 am

I am just over 3 months post op and I noticed about 2 weeks ago my hair was falling out, but OMG this past week it has picked up speed, its not a surprise but I didn't think I would loose so much. Taking a shower every day I cringe because when I wash my hair I see so much going down the drain. Oh well small price to pay.

JJ_
on 5/10/14 9:18 pm

Yep, months 4-6 should be the worst of it.  I bought a drain catcher to not clog my drain.  I had to empty it daily.

teachren
on 5/10/14 9:28 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/13/13 with

Yup...it's horrible for sure. The first couple of times I pulled a clump out of my already fine, thin hair I thought I was having a panic attack.

The bright side? Yes...there is one. I am 1 yr out tomorrow and lately have had so many compliments on how "healthy" and shiny my hair looks now. So hold onto that carrot and try not to tear up too much watching it go down the drain! :-) It will return.

150 pounds gone for now! :-)  Initial goal weight of 170 lbs met on March 7, 2014.  My 44 year old bones survived hiking 4 days overland to a highest point of 4700 metres! Machu Picchu goal...CONQUERED!

Katie M.
on 5/10/14 10:21 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I checked my head for bald spots regularly from months 4-6 ;) None appeared, and at 7 months it's stopped and now I have a fuzzy head full of regrowth. So don't fear, it will come back again! And good advice on buying a drain catcher, otherwise you'll be fishing it out of the shower drain every day!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

zephie
on 5/11/14 7:56 am - Moose Factory, Canada

Being on this side of menopause (I'm 65) is a bonus....almost no hair loss at all...lucky me!!

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

PaulaToronto
on 5/11/14 8:37 am - Toronto, Canada

Mine was already thin in the front from menopause and then a double whammy - surgery and then later my thyroid went wonky and I had bald spots for over a year.  Finally with supplements and meds my hair is back (I am 21/2 years out).  I went short and then shorter yet and now I love it short. It is hard to see it come out but if does come back and my hairdresser said it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Everyone will be commenting on your new body to notice your hair!

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/11/14 9:25 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It's crazy how much comes out.  Although you know intellectually this is likely to happen,  the reality is downright depressing.  There are piles of my hair everywhere.   I need a lint brush to dehair the chair in my office. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Jiliana2
on 5/11/14 10:21 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I know we had our surgeries within a day or two of each other... and I can definitely relate! 

I started noticing it about three weeks ago, and it's disheartening. Being fat all my life left me with (in my view!) my one and only good physical attribute... my thick, lustrous hair! I am lucky it's thick because right now, it's coming out in clumps. I've taken to washing/styling it less frequently (about three times per week, thus less handling) and that means less hair falling out. I am trying to sweep up all the hairs that fall out in the shower or off my towel, and I have taken to sweeping the bathroom floor frequently. And as the main cook in the house, preparing meals for the kids, I am trying to be more careful with my hair in the kitchen. I thought about wearing a bandana or scarf or something while I cook, but it's getting warm here now and I suspect that would be uncomfortable.

I also know that I definitely notice that my hair is falling out, but my husband does not. He mentioned the other day that his boss, who is on the list to have surgery, asked him how I was doing with my WLS and she asked Hubby if I'd had any hair loss yet. He told her no, I have not! It still looks like I have lots of thick hair on my head. I hope that will carry me through for awhile until it grows back. Even the texture of my hair has changed. It's more coarse and crinkly. A bit more brittle. I'm trying to be gentle with it.

There's one more fear that I have: that it won't grow back. I have to hope that it will. It's scary to see fistsful of hair go down the drain.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active