Snacking ideas

kristaeb
on 5/4/14 11:16 am

I love my roasted chick peas. Many different recipes on line. My favorite is rosemary with olive oil, seasoning salt and bit garlic powder..Also I love baked kale chips  ..Good luck Krista..

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

Mary A.
on 5/6/14 1:40 am

I have to chime in at 5 yrs post-op it's just as difficult as what you are experiencing now...if you don't consciously make the right choices the lbs cab easily make it back on your body

I have a banana every morning a scoop of protein in my coffee and then a protein bar usually ZOne Perfect for coffee break, sometimes I will have a pck of regular instant oatmeal, which is 110 calories, I do splurge and put a tsp of brown sugar on it.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

crstalww
on 5/6/14 1:44 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 11/06/12
Thank you everyone. Back on track and honestly I'm tracking my food again and I am full all day . Yesterday was hard my first day back on track and I just felt full all day long dinner all I could have was a shake and jaws good. Couldn't even snack. Tried green beans for snacking I couldn't and I love them I full full like a ballon lol. Started the gym again do just got to keep motivated and going. No one said this was going to be easy because it's not

Orientation: July 23 2012       Dr Sullivan : August 16, 2012 Dietician, SW, RN, Sept 26, 2012    Dr Sullivan Oct 17, 2012 and pick up Optifast   PATTS: October 24, 2012         Surgery: November 6, 2012. Starting weight 277 surgery weight 268

momjan
on 5/13/14 12:23 pm - Canada

Here`s a salad recipe I found yesterday.  And have eaten it for dinner, snack this a.m. and dinner tonight as well.  Addictive, in a good way.  I used red, white and black quiona; it added a nice color contrast.  The red and black by itself seemed darker and heavier; the white seems lighter.  I also added a few dried apricots as I was running out of dates.  Hope you enjoy it!!! Savory and sweet......

Kale & Quinoa Salad with Dates, Almonds & Citrus Dressing

Serves 6

For the salad and toppings:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
Salt
1/2 cup red quinoa
1 small clove garlic, smashed
1 bunch lacinato kale (3/4 to 1 pound, with stems)
1/2 heaping cup whole dates
1/2 cup roasted salted whole almonds

For the dressing:
1 clementine or mandarin orange, juiced
1/2 lime, juiced
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the olive oil in a wide sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sprinkle lightly with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has darkened to a toasty brown and smells caramelized — about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside. You should have about 1/2 cup of cooked onions. (This can be done up to 3 days ahead of time, and the onions can be refrigerated.)

Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Add it and the garlic to a 2-quart saucepan set over medium-high heat and sauté for about a minute both to dry the grain and toast it lightly. Add 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Cover and turn the heat to low; cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat but leave the lid on for an additional 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the lid and fluff with a fork.

While the onions are caramelizing and the quinoa is cooking, slice off the muddy bottoms of the kale stems, then slice the rest of the bunch into fine ribbons. Wash thoroughly and spread on a towel to dry.

Pit the dates and slice them into quarters. Roughly chop the almonds, by which I mean try to chop each almond into just two or three pieces, no more.

Make the dressing: Whisk the juices together (you should have about 1/4 cup total of juice, or a little less). Whisk in the maple syrup and olive oil. The dressing will be emulsified but still thin. Stir about 2 tablespoons of the dressing into the quinoa after it finishes cooking.

Assemble the salad: Toss the kale with all of the still-warm quinoa and the caramelized onions. Toss with about half the dressing and taste. Add the remaining dressing if desired, then toss with the dates and almonds. Taste a bite; if it needs more salt, add it now, as well as fresh pepper if desired.

This salad keeps very well; the kale gets more tender as it sits in the dressing. Refrigerate for up to 5 days.

Recipe Note

Be sure to use a leafy kale in this salad, as opposed to a curly. How to know the difference? Lacinato kale (also called dinosaur, Tuscan, or black kale) comes in bundled sheaves of leaves, like chard or collards. Curly kale looks more like a big bouquet of floral filler, with ruffled edges, you might find it too tough for this recipe, but I used a smoother kale and the curly and found it just fine.

Most Active