CARBS????

Crystal82
on 4/30/14 12:05 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14

My god carbs are so confusing they are in everything! I know there are two types complex and simple but when I enter anything in my fitness pal the carb numbers kills me! I am almost 5 months post and am down 78.6 lbs. I am ecstatic with that number and feel great but just can't wrap my head around around the carb counting.  most of my carbs come fruit but I still watch the other Carb carriers when planing my meals. I usually avoid carbs as much as I can if I have a day with a higher carb count I "stay away" from them for the next couple days. Soooo much learning and soooo. Much will power required to stay away from all the bad carbs! But I'm doing it! I got this!

On a side note if u haven't already listened to it "Brand New Me" by Alicia Keys is a great motivational song! I tend to listen to it to get me pumped at the gym(not a fast song but makes me push harder) it's not new but it's a new motivation for me!

Surgery January 6, 2014!

Katie M.
on 4/30/14 9:22 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I try not to get too hung up on the counting of anything except protein. Usually if my protein is high, the other numbers are in check! But for sure high carb days happen, even just having a wrap for lunch and then some veggies for dinner will do it for me. But remembering that we need carbs to digest the protein is good too - good veggie carbs are what you want. If you limit your bread, stay away from the white food (lots of colourful veg, fruits etc) and really focus on protein at every meal you should be ok. Congrats on your 78.6 lbs - you must feel great!! You definitely have this, the willpower is there :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

LittleMiss2013
on 5/1/14 6:06 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I'm with you on the carbs, it kills me, lol. EVERYTHING has carbs in it. My protein shakes where way up there because I was putting half a banana in them and bananas are killer high in carbs, it's crazy.

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Caroline K.
on 5/1/14 7:07 am

Carbs are fine and your body does need them, but I'd suggest focusing on low glycemic ones. For example, blueberries are really low carbs. Legumes are high in carbs, but they also have protein and fibre, so are a good trade. Most veggies are good, etc.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Yoyo4life
on 5/1/14 10:00 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 01/08/14

Gonna go listen to that song rite now and put it on my iPod for the gym...an you got this girl we can do anything!!!

Referral sent: Aug/30/2013 Orientation: September/24/2013 Nurse Appointment: September/30/2013 Social worker Appointment: October/7/2013 Psychologist Appointment:Oct/11/13 Dietician Appointment:Oct/21/13 Nutrition Class: Oct/29/2013 Surgeons Appointment: Nov/22/2013 PATTS: December/13/2013 Surgery date: January/08/2014

Jiliana2
on 5/1/14 10:47 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I am a total carb-a-holic. I love them. If I start, I just know I have problems stopping. So post-op, I have cut out all 'easy' carbs such as pasta, rice, potatoes, crackers, breads, etc. It's a trigger for me and I'd slowly go down the carb and sugar slope, never to be found again!

However, I have relented a little and I eat  1/2 ounce (14g) of All Bran per day. That has 11g of carbs and it helps to keep me regular; that's crucial!

I've also resolved to eat few or no fruits as the carb content is quite high. Since my surgery in February, I've had a bite or two of apple (leftovers from my 4-year old's snacks), a few blueberries, and I think a section or two of a mandarin orange. I love fruit, and while I miss it now, I know I will be able to slowly incorporate fruits again when I get to maintenance. But for the moment, I really want to maximize the honeymoon phase of weight loss surgery.

For now, the carbs that I am getting come from dairy. I drink my protein shakes with ice and 1 cup of 1% milk (12 carbs). Greek yogourt has carbs. Tomato-based spaghetti sauce (my homemade recipe) has carbs. I am keeping my carb count low, trying to come in under 35 per day. Some days, I succeed, like yesterday when I consumed about 24 carbs, but other days I go over and I am closer to 50.

If perchance my calories are low for the day, I have one or two tablespoons of peanut butter before bed, or maybe a bit of beef jerky; that bumps up calories and carbs just a little bit with a touch of protein to boot.

These are my experiences though. I cannot speak for anyone else. I'm 3 months post-op tomorrow and earlier this week, I hit the 70-lbs lost mark, so I'm pleased thus far. But it's definitely hard work. I enter my details in MFP religiously and I have modified my daily calories, protein, carb, fat and sugar targets in the application to keep close track of it all. It's a fine line, but if I don't keep track, well... I'll end up back where I started this journey.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Soon2BRunning
on 5/2/14 3:31 am - Toronto, Canada

this is how I handled it.... and it is something I have since read and confirmed for weight maintenance-loss

Until I got to goal, I tried to keep my carbs under 60 grams a day.. post goal, you have a bit more play but not a lot. I am five years out and still

watch my carbs like a hawk. I eat NOTHING that has more than 20grams of carbs in it (NET) and restrict my carb intake to under 75grams a day. I am also a once-a-day exerciser.. so always watch your carbs.. it can really derail you during the "honeymoon" phase when you need to get the weight off, and then REALLY de-rail you when you are in maintenance and things become much harder. Setting yourself up for success means good habits now

Kathy

NorthernStar
on 5/2/14 4:58 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I kept my carbs at 40-50 a day when losing, total carbs not net. I lost best in this range. I have noticed a big correlation between my carb intake and losses. I would recommend to anyone to watch their carb intake (should be mostly fruit/veg) and see how they feel and what the scale shows.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Most Active