Debating Bypass Surgery...Have a few questions, Please help! :)

Heartbeat
on 4/30/14 10:04 am - Canada

Thank you kindly!

I wish you the best in your adventure!

shoshanaApr2013
on 5/3/14 1:17 pm
Hi Amanda,

I'm glad you're here! You'll find lots of support and resources.

There's nothing embarrassing about being 440 lbs with this lot! We're all in (or have been in) a similar boat. The important thing is that you realize you need to make a change and are taking action to do so.

The most important thing is your health. It's nice to be "thin" but PRICELESS to be healthy. I wish I had this surgery done when I was your age!!!

Even if you're unsure, I would start the process. It will teach you about the surgery and offer you access to resources you didn't have before. Having doubts is natural and healthy. It shows that you're putting lots of thought into it and taking it seriously, which is good.

The wait time is actually a blessing in disguise. It gives you the opportunity to really dig deep into what your issues are and plan for your post-surgery lifestyle. You're not tied into anything... you can change your mind/postpone your decision at any time. Might as well get started in the process as it can take a while.

As far as I know the death statistics are out-dated and American. I think my Centre quoted a 1/1500 mortality rate and it wasn't a death during surgery but a post-op problem. Being 440 lbs will probably have a greater long-term chance of mortality than the actual surgery.

Whatever decision you make I wish you all the best. You deserve to be happy and healthy. You are the captain of your own ship, so steer it in the direction you want to go.

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

Most Active