Juicing

aprilflowers
on 4/23/14 6:02 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/12

Just wondering if us RNYers would benefit at all from adding pure vegetable juice to our diets?

I watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead and was thinking to benefit my health I could add a veggie juice a day, but with our pouches I don't know if we'd even absorb the nutrients?

cutekatie
on 4/23/14 7:10 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I`m not sure about absorbing the nutrients but everything that I have read says solid food is best to keep us full. The problem with juicing is that you`re not chewing food, you`re drinking everything and that doesn`t really fill you up.

I have seen that documentary and it did have some good points but we can add vegetables and fruits the good old fashion way by eating them :)

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Needanewbeginning
on 4/23/14 7:16 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

My centre (HRRH) and surgeon don't promote juicing fruits or veggies. As much as I thought it may be a good idea, we are no longer 'designed' to absorb what you injest, so, no juicing won't be a good way to get nutrients in.

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

aprilflowers
on 4/23/14 11:21 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/12

That's what I figured. Thought I'd check before spending $200 on a blender! lol Thanks:-)

NorthernStar
on 4/24/14 1:49 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Of course we RNYers still absorb nutrients we injest (food & vitamins). Otherwise we'd die! We just don't absorb to the same degree anymore because part of our small intestines is bypassed.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

1HealthyMomma
on 4/23/14 11:36 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

I'm pre-op but the lady doing my orientation said juicing just gives you all the sugar and none of the fiber and we don't need sugar and do need fiber. Save your money for new clothes... lol

Take Care

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

michellecowles
on 4/23/14 5:36 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

I would think juicing wouldn't be acceptable just because with juicing you are literally taking out all of the Fibre and nutrients from the veggies. But I would look into blending just because you are not juicing and still putting the Fibre and nutrients of the veggies in your body. 

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

NorthernStar
on 4/24/14 1:50 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Fibre yes, nutrients no. The juice contains most of the micronutrients (vitamins, minerals & phytonutrients like antioxidants) in the plant.

*Lindsey*

NorthernStar
on 4/24/14 2:02 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I'm going to jump in here and say yes, I juice and I love it. I became very interested in juicing last year after watching Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. Not least of all because I also suffer from chronic urticaria like Joe does. I have read Dr Joel Fuhrman's books and there is some very interesting research on micronutrient intake. Micronutrients are vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals (like antioxidants). Macronutrients are protein, fat and carbohydrate components of foods. Dr Fuhrman presents a very compelling, fact-based argument that we need to focus more on micronutrient intake vs. macronutrient intake.

There's a lot of misinformation abotu juicing and absorption, as evidenced by this thread. We do still absorb nutrients after bypass, but to a lesser degree which puts us at risk for nutritional deficiencies. That's why we take vitamins. We still absorb, but not like we used to. Research is indicating that juicing allows regular people to absorb greater amounts of nutrients more easily. If it works for non-RNY people (is it cool to call them "normies?"), then WHY wouldn't it work for us?

Ultimately there is no research being done on juicing effects on people with WLS so I can't give any hard facts but I am very inclined to believe that because non-bypassed people absorb more nutrients with juicing then bypassed people can also absorb more nutrients.

When I talk about juicing, I mean cold-processing FRESH, and preferable organic, produce. I am NOT talking about processed/reconstituted and from-concentrate juice you buy at the store. Nobody needs that juice. I am also not talking about adding juice as a beverage, but rather as a meal substitute. I find it very filling and often sub it out for a meal, especially post-workout. The basics that we are taught about juice - empty calories, mostly sugar, etc do not apply to juicing. I eat plenty of fibre and get it at my other meals. I juice a lot of kale and spinach - iron-containing produce and am hoping it will help with my iron levels. My iron has been dipping but is not a cause for concern just yet. I juice 80% veggies and 20% fruits.

*Lindsey*

RidingFan
on 4/24/14 3:23 am - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13

Good info...thanks Lindsey! 

Referred HRRH Apr.  2012, Info. Session: Sept 12/12, Surgeon Consult: Dr L Smith Sept 19/12,  RD/SW/RN/ Nov 19/12.  Surgery Date:  April 29, 2013

Most Active