Venting re can't get a callback from TWH Bariatric Clinic

Emjaye
on 4/15/14 8:11 am - Canada

Argh! I'm so frustrated! I'm trying to figure out where/when to get my 6 month follow up blood tests done, and I'm rapidly running out of time to fit them in "3 weeks before".  Not that I've been advised of my appointment dates yet - I called the clinic last week and left a voicemail msg - do you have dates for me and where can you suggest getting bloodwork done? (my doctor's clinic doesn't open til 9 am and I want to go somewhere eariler if possible.  Can I bring my requisition to the blood clinic at TWH?   No call back of any kind.  I called them again yesterday, and actually got a live person, who was only taking messages.  So, again, I asked for the dates of my 6 month follow up appointments, and also asked if I could get the bloodwork done at the TWH blood clinic.  Yes, she said, just bring your requisition and your hospital card.  Are you sure? I asked her, are you sure that nothing else needs to be done ?  Yes, she repeated, just take your req and your hospital card.  OK.  So I did.  And OF COURSE I was turned away - the TWH blood clinic does not take paper requisitions, they will only do blood tests if the doctor has put the requisition in the computer system, which does not happen with the Bariatric Clinic.

This is SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!  Why can't I get a call back?  Why can't I get the right info the first time?

I keep hearing in the TWH support group what a great group the Bariatric Unit is, and yet this kind of admin bs makes it hard to believe sometimes.

I will try either the LifeLab or another local lab which opens very early in the morning tomorrow.   Am I still outside of 3 weeks prior to my appointments?  Gawd only knows, 'cause I sure don't.

This is sure taking the edge of the fact that I found ONEDERLAND this week!!!  (Focus on the good stuff...)

Orientation Jan 2/13, Social Worker Feb 27, Nurse Practitioner Apr 29, Nutrition Class May 28, Dietician Jun 18, Psychologist Jul 9, Surgeon Aug 2, Opti starts Oct 14, Pre-Admission Oct 16,  Surgery: Nov 4/13

KerryF.
on 4/15/14 8:21 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

try email  TWH phone system sucks but I never had a problem when emailing..... during business hours the responses were always prompt from Florence and she is  NP she will know for sure where and when to get your blood work done.  

[email protected]

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Dale B.
on 4/15/14 9:56 am - Canada

I booked my 6 month appointment when I was there for my 3 month appointment, I book in Januray and couldn't get an appointment until June, which will actually be 9 months.

Where do you live? I live in Mississauga and go to Gamma-Dynacare Medical Laboratories, 2000 Credit Valley Road, suite 107. Corner of Credit Valley rd and Eglinton Ave.Address:Address:

Dale

Dale-Referral: October/12 ~ Orientation: January 2/13 ~ Nurse Practitioner:  May 7/13 Social Worker: May 7/13 ~ Sleep Test: May 23/13 ~ Nutrition Class: May 28/13 Nutrition Assess: May 31/13~ Psychologist: June 24/13 ~ Surgeon: August 9/13 ~ Pre-OP: August 28,2013Surgery Date: September 12/13        

Blueiiis
on 4/15/14 9:57 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Just keep calling.  I left three voicemails (q per day for 3 consecutive days) and finally on the Friday I was rather blunt about having to leave many messages without receiving any call back and it had a return call with an apology that same day. 

What at is this about an email address? At what appointment do we get that for TWH?

KerryF.
on 4/15/14 9:19 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

the email addresses I have are coming from the business cards each and every medical professional at TWH gave me at every meeting. Even if I saw that person another time they gave me their card again. I have a business card from every session pre and post op.... I collect them now LOL  (I never asked for their cards I assumed it was policy that they were supposed to hand them out so I would feel like I'm being taken care of)

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Cottagenanny
on 4/15/14 11:27 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 02/03/14

When I received the requisition for my blood work the nurse said I could go to any blood clinic (3 weeks ahead of my appointment) and the results will be sent to TWH for review for the appointment.  You can ask your doctor for any clinics in your area that do blood work, most open early in morning and don't close until later at night.  You do not have to go to the hospital to do the tests.

Orientation March 13, 2013 / Social Worker June 11 / Nurse Practitioner July 10 / Nutrition class, Blood, ECG Aug. 20 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Penner Sept. 20 / CT Scan Oct. 10 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Urbach Oct. 18 / Psychologist Oct. 30 / Nutritionist Oct. 30 / Dr. Urbach Dec. 13 / PAATS Jan. 24 / Surgery February 3, 2014    

Onward and
Downward

on 4/16/14 12:01 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

You can go to any blood lab to get them done.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Leanne1
on 4/16/14 6:10 am - Newmarket, Canada

I just go to any lab and have my blood done... 

Don't stress. They will get the report... I sure as hell am not driving all the way to Toronto (I am in Newmarket) to have labwork done.

Relax and go to life labs.. no big deal

;-)

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Most Active