How do you flavour your meals?

bgodfrey
on 4/14/14 9:31 pm - Canada

I realized that while I am working my way through the appointments before surgery, I can be working on making changes to my eating habits now.

One of my worries is that in changing my eating, I have to give up flavor.  All my life butter and sauces have been my flavor makers.

Can anyone share their tips and secrets on adding flavor to their meals (spices, healthy sauces etc).

I know it will be about experimenting but I need a place to start.

Thanks for sharing.

Barbara 

kristaeb
on 4/14/14 10:30 pm

Hi Barbra, check out the site. The World According To Egg Face... She has some great recipes and tips. Lots of sauces and dips Low fat..I have used her site a lot since surgery ..Good luck Krista..

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

Monica9811
on 4/14/14 10:44 pm - Peterborough, Canada

I know what you mean. I rarely have butter in my house any more unless I have company coming over. I used some packaged gravies for meat. I also use a lot of garlic and franks hot sauce. Salsa is another big condiment for us.  I also buy the large tub of fresh grated Parmesan cheese at Costco and sprinkle a bit of that on my veggies. We also buy a lot of seasonings. Mrs dash has a great variety. Good luck. All I can say is read the labels and make informed decisions now. It will help immensely. 

KerryF.
on 4/14/14 10:51 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

The best flavors for me now come from onions, cilantro, lemon, garlic and even salt & pepper. 

a favorite for me now is carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes and onions and jalapeno peppers cut into tiny bite size with finely chopped cilantro and spritzed with lemon is the tastiest snack EVER

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Sunny123
on 4/14/14 11:55 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

Frank's red hot, mrs dash, garlic and onion powder (not salt). I do make gravies for meat as it's it sometimes hard to eat without one. I also use tzatziki sauce. I make a curried chicken dish that is creamy and calls for sour cream...I use fat free.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Catw
on 4/15/14 12:24 am - Arnprior, Canada

As you said, it will take a bit of experimenting as to what and how much spice you like.  One thing I like cooking my chicken in is Salsa.  A healthy spaghetti sauce is good too.  You don't have to give up all sauces, but will need to limit quantity and perhaps chose some healthier alternatives.  Like greek yogurt instead of sour cream.  Another place to look for recipes is http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/discussion/

You can find lots of flavorful dishes that you can eat.

Cathy

Most Active