Full liquid diet question

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/14 4:07 am

Today is the first day of my full liquid diet prescribed by the Guelph  clinic. On the sample menu oatmeal is suggested so I mde some for breakfast. Even though the menu suggested 1/2cup I served myself 1/4 then thinned it out even more with milk. After my first bite I couldn't help but think tha oatmeal dosent make sence t me on the full liquid diet. Did I read this wrong? Do they mean puréed oatmeal? Baby oatmeal? My other question is about amounts of food. How much food did you eat at each meal? Our instructions do say 1/2 - 1cup full liquid per meal. Does that seem like too much to you?

Thanks everyone :)

crqvingchange
on 4/10/14 4:44 am

I am pre-op with Guelph.   I just checked my handout from the post diet class and you did read that right. 1 cup of Oatmeal in 1 meal seems like a lot of food 2 weeks out. Maybe gradually increase to that amount. Interested to see what other centres recommend. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/14 4:53 am

One cup of oatmeal is way too much, i ate 1/4 cup. In our pamphlet under full fluid goals it says to eat 3 small meals and 3 small snacks daily approximately 1/2-1cup per meal. On the next page under sample menus it says breakfast: 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal made with 1/2 cup milk.  It dosent specify to purée.

Catw
on 4/10/14 5:08 am - Arnprior, Canada

That is the max that you should be eating for the whole meal not just of oatmeal.  If you add anything like applesauce to your oatmeal, it comes out of that half cup too.

The recipe that I still use is 1/3 cup oatmeal, 1 cup water (cold), a bit of sweetner/sf flavoring, and a bit of coffeemate (it makes it creamy without the lactose and keeps in my cupboard at work).  I mix that and microwave it for 99 seconds.  Note, if you use ho****er or a small bowl, it could boil over and make a mess in the microwave.  And use quick oats, not the packages, better for you.

Cathy

munchkinn
on 4/10/14 5:30 am

Hi, I had my surgery through Guelph too. Oatmeal will be more like a slider food cause it is in equal parts milk. If you feel that 1/2 cup is too much then just start with less. I was able to get 1/2 cup in on some days but not on others. It also isn't too hard to digest either.

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/14 6:35 am

Thanks everyone. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. :)

Most Active