Gall Bladder surgery

jenn7859
on 4/9/14 10:03 am

Are there many of you out there that have had gallbladder surgery?  If so, what are the symptoms, and how do they determine whether or not to remove it? Whatever info you can give would be appreciated.

sellarsgal
on 4/9/14 10:09 am - Oshawa, Canada

I had mine removed last year. I had indigestion in the afternoon, felt fine when I went to bed, the pain woke me up in the middle of the night!! Sharp pains in my chest that radiated to my back, it was worse when I lay down. The pain was like labor pains where it was hard to breath, to talk and I couldn't stand up straight, I went to emerge and told them I thought it was my gallbladder, they gave me morphine and ordered an ultra sound. The ultrasound showed my gallbladder was inflamed and FULL of stones. They decided to do the surgery then, laparoscopically. I was in the hospital a few days and then sent home, 

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

jenn7859
on 4/9/14 10:21 am

Thanks for the info, it sounds like what I have.  I have an ultrasound booked for tomorrow.  Is there any special diet that you have to follow after surgery?

sellarsgal
on 4/9/14 10:27 am - Oshawa, Canada

Good luck with your ultrasound, there was no special diet after surgery for your gallbladder, or lack of one! Lol

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

kimber291
on 4/9/14 11:31 am, edited 4/9/14 11:32 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

In January I had an ultrasound done to check for gall stones. It showed that I did have them. (Had gall bladder out when I had my RNY in February)

Pre op: My doctor told me to stay away from greasy/fried/spicy foods as it can trigger the attacks. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Catw
on 4/10/14 2:53 am - Arnprior, Canada

I had mine out pre-WLS, and it was like a sword had been thrust through me from back to front.  I tried to relieve it by using a hot pad but it didn't work. I went to ER, they kept me in observation on morphine until 6pm Monday.  Didn't give me any special diet, sent me home with demerol.  Ate supper had an attack took the pills and an hour later they didn't work.  Went back in.  Was admitted and Thursday I had it out (I was a fit in).  While I was in observation they did an ultrasound and found lots of small gall stones.

It's not necessarily wether or not they remove it, it's when they'll remove it.

Cathy

Most Active