New to the group.

bee28
on 4/8/14 8:41 am - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

Hi everyone, I just signed up to the group and thought I would tell everyone a little about myself. I am 28 years old and live in Sarnia Ontario, I have thought about the surgery for a long time now and never thought it would actually be possibly until I was finally referred by a different doctor (of which I am very thankful for) because now I feel like I can have some help in getting to where I'd like to be.

I am still quite in the early stages of the whole process, I have my first doctors clinic appointment this coming Thursday, I am doing all of my meetings in Windsor and will be going to Toronto to eventually have the surgery when the time comes.

I have had RN and social worker appointment as well as the nutrition class and will be having my one on one nutrition appointment in may.

Step one to the whole process started back in January, how long from the very beginning does it usually take to the actual surgery date?

Really looking forward to reading about everyone's journeys and successes :)

-B

Pamela.S.
on 4/8/14 12:13 pm - Canada

Welcome!  I'm not sure how long things take in Windsor, I'm at Humber River and they were saying 3-6 months from your orientation.  There are many factors - how many patients they have in line, and then if those people have health issues that make it more urgent for them etc.  Someone who went through there is sure to answer your post.  Best of luck!

-

Referral Sept/13, changed centres to HRRH - Orientation Mar 24/14.  Feb 5, 2015 - SURGERY!!!! HW 286.4 SW 264

on 4/8/14 12:20 pm - Canada

Hi there and welcome.   It took me a little more than a yr from start to now.  My surgery RNY is April 22nd.   Some people have had to wait much longer depending on if they have to have more testing done for different med issues.  It will come before you know it.  :-)  Dont be afraid to ask any questions at all .  Val

bee28
on 4/8/14 12:35 pm - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

Thank you so much for the reply and the welcome.

4-Jane
on 4/8/14 1:09 pm - Canada

Welcome to the forum B the wait can be long and longer for some.  Take your waiting time and turn it into learning time.  Wishing you well as you move forward.

Respectfully Jane
Gabygee
on 4/8/14 11:31 pm - Canada

Hi Bee -

you've come to the right place. The folks on this forum are helpful and supportive - and they all understand where you are coming from.

I am so pleased that you found a referring physician who supports this program - I cannot believe the gift OHIP gives us by paying for this life-altering surgery.

Keep lurking, keep posting  - you'll find the process long at first, but so rewarding in the end!

bee28
on 4/9/14 9:32 am - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

thank you so much :)

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/9/14 9:49 am - Windsor, Canada

Be sure to check out your very active Sarnia support group.  Lots of people to get to know and learn from.  If you ever want any help as well from a long timer, feel free to chat with me as well.

I run the Windsor support group and our patients all go through the centre. You are looking at 1 year generally. Some are a little less (9 months is short), and some are say, 16 months.  It really depends how your appointments line up and how compliant you are.

Good luck in your journey.  Try not to think of the wait as an inconvenience.  There is lots to learn that the centres will not tell you about.  Learn and research. You only get one chance to make the most of this surgery.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

bee28
on 4/9/14 11:01 am - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

Thank you, the plan is to go to my first support group meeting next week to check it out and hear all about it.

Swell
on 4/9/14 12:44 pm - Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Hi! I'm also in the Sarnia area (Bright's Grove) and going through Windsor's centre. I have my nurse consult in a couple of weeks, and then the social worker and doctor appointments in May, so it sounds like you're a little further in the process than me. It's great to see someone else from the area on here!

Most Active