First appointments booked in Guelph

NewLife81
on 4/8/14 6:33 am - St. Thomas, Canada

I went to my orientation back in Feb and my first 2 appointments are coming up on April 23 & 30. The first is with a nurse then the 2nd is with the counsellor and the dietitian. Just wondering what I am in for! I am fairly nervous but can't wait to get started! 

Also, others that have been to guelph for their appointments and surgery.. approximately how long is the process from first appointment to your surgery? I know its different for everyone but I'm curious!  

Thanks!

Caroline K.
on 4/8/14 10:36 am

Assuming no unnecessary delays, about 12-16 months. I'm out of Guelph as well, and you can see my timeline below. The appointments with the nurse, counsellor and dietician are really not that bad. Just getting a grip on your medical history, your current eating habits, and your mental state (realistic expectations, support network, etc.). They'll give you suggestions, and maybe some homework.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

NewLife81
on 4/8/14 10:55 am - St. Thomas, Canada

Wow I was hoping it wouldn't take too too long! I was hoping late fall or early winter! I have had all the blood work, ultrasound and a sleep test last year that was listed in the orientation information. My doctor has given me a copy of the tests and faxed them to guelph. My vitamin A & D were a bit low so with my regular multivitamin I have added more vitamin D and increased my orange veggies.. but I have interstital cystitis (bladder condition) and have to stay away from a lot of foods especially fruits. Will this make my recovery and weight loss more difficult? I really hope not!

123dixie
on 4/10/14 8:00 am

I have just been referred to the network...I live in London my doc said Guelph would be my site but when I enter my postal code it says I Will be referred to Windor

Confussed in London

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/14 12:21 pm

Last I heard about 2 weeks ago, Guelph is not accepting any new referrals at this time they are so busy. When you have surgery depends on many things, such as how many are a head of you and your health, there maybe others that can pass you as they maybe worse off than you and need the surgery sooner, tests results ect ect ect.... Set your expectation to at least 1 year to 1-1/2 years wait... if its sooner thats a bonus.

NewLife81
on 4/8/14 1:05 pm - St. Thomas, Canada

Sorry just so I understand because my heart dropped! Lol because I have had the orientation and my first 2 appointments are booked for this month I am set to continue to make sure I am able to have the surgery and/or more tests and appointments? They won't just say we are too busy ?

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/14 1:40 pm

No dont worry, Guelph has accepted your referral. Im talking when your doctor refers you for surgery, Guelph will not accept anymore new ones, they would probably be sent to Toronto. 

Just be patient with the time waiting, try to practice better eating habits ect and educate yourself by reading the board and asking questions. We all have been in your situation, waiting sucks... but you will get there!!!

NewLife81
on 4/8/14 2:13 pm - St. Thomas, Canada

Thank you so much! I am trying to do everything I can to get ready! Trying to fix my eating habits, I have stopped drinking pop... I was drinking a lot because I hated always drinking water and with my interstitial cystitis I can't drink caffeine, I can't drink milk and I am not suppose to have soy, can't have juice so it was water and sprite but I can't have diet. So I have been trying not to have any pop and started trying the water flavoring so I have more variety. 

The one thing I am really having a hard time with is getting moving! With the IC I get severe kidney area pain mostly on the left, plus I have 2 herniated discs in my back and arthritis in the same discs. And my family doc thinks I could have fibromyalgia. My back is always in pain and I am on a lot of medication to try and help but I am really limited as to what I can do and if I really can because of the pain. I end up in the ER about once a month.

Is there any lower impact exercises that can help? I am about 375lbs and I need to start losing and I am not brave enough to go to the pool!

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/14 3:03 pm

Just try walking a little each day and if you can increase it slowly each week. My back really bothered me before surgery now that I have lost just over 60 pounds it is so much better.So the best suggestion I have is short walks and to try to slowly increase when you feel comfortable.

crqvingchange
on 4/8/14 2:25 pm

My referral to Guelph was Feb. 2013. This week I had my post-op class and was told my surgery would likely be in June or July. That means it will be 16-17 months after referral.

Most Active