Weight loss prior to being accepted on registry

Lemily
on 4/7/14 5:43 am
VSG on 01/16/14

I asked my doctor the same thing. His response was it goes from your beginning weight. Now, I dont know if they will use your weight at the time of referral or from the time you see the surgeon. You may want to call the doctor or whoever puts your forms into insurance for approval and see what they have to say.

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/7/14 2:48 am - Windsor, Canada

Weight loss prior is neither here not there.  Most centres don't seem to count it.  The weight you are required to lose usually starts from your first weigh in at your centre. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Caroline K.
on 4/7/14 4:39 am

Note also that some centres (Guelph is one of them), if you put on weight (more than a few pounds) during the approval process, that's a problem; but, losing weight is okay.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

AK_Gipson
on 4/7/14 5:56 am
VSG on 04/14/14

I lost 35 pounds during my six months medically supervised diet. Read your insurance carefully. Some insurance want to see at least a 10% weight loss during this time. Mine didn't, but I did it just to be on the safe side. Just make sure your BMI doesn't drop lower than the qualififications. Mine was 40 BMI with no co morbids. My sleep apnea isn't bad enough to qualify. Also the surgeon can't give you a diet and whatever your PCP puts you on the insurance co has to go with. For example I thought it was to high at 1800 calories to qualify as a low calorie diet. But since that's what my doc said it was fine. I didn't eat that much because I wanted to lose :) I was on a low carb,, low fat diet :) 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Most Active