for the vets

on 4/6/14 7:55 am - Canada

I have been reading a lot on here so this is a question for some of the vetrens out there.  After surgery are there any foods that you can not physically eat.  Such as corn or tomatos?

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/6/14 8:21 am - Windsor, Canada

This is a highly individual thing.  Some people cannot tolerate chicken and eggs early out. Some can't tolerate beef for life.  It's all dependent on your little pouch.

For me, I can eat everything.  Absolutely everything. I pass out now if I eat too much sugar (reactive hypoglycemia) but other than that, I tolerate everything.

And well...yah, it sucks.

Best advice, eat like you WILL dump whether you do or don't.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Patm
on 4/6/14 11:06 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I can eat most things. Eggs and I have a love hate relationship. Sometimes they are fine other times not so much

All meats have to be moist. If i eat steak I eat very small pieces and chew like hell.

RidingFan
on 4/6/14 11:57 am - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13

I can have almost everything in moderation. I am fine with most vegetables including tomatoes and corn. Can't do raw broccoli or cauliflower though.  I am good with most fruits but grapes are a problem too if I have more that a few.  Love most meats but can't tolerate greasy or fried, gives me a pain in my pouch while trying to digest.  Used to love eggs but now they need to be fairly moist like poached or creamy scrambled  and only later in the day like for brunch or supper, not first thing in the morning.  Anything too sweet, high sugar content, will also send my pouch to gurgling and rumbling so I avoid those. I find these restrictions keep me focused on healthy, whole foods with good nutritional value. Lots of variety and choices out there, life is good with my RNY!   Good luck to you on this journey.

Referred HRRH Apr.  2012, Info. Session: Sept 12/12, Surgeon Consult: Dr L Smith Sept 19/12,  RD/SW/RN/ Nov 19/12.  Surgery Date:  April 29, 2013

on 4/6/14 10:47 pm - Canada

Thankyou

highlandbear
on 4/6/14 8:48 pm - Canada

Each and everyone of us will be so different. I can not touch anything that is deep fried, high in sugar and gravy.  Some days I might be able to eat something and next time no way.  

Mary A.
on 4/7/14 1:36 am

I am the same way with greasy foods, I also stay away from foods that contain spices such as Italian sausages and that sort of thing on weekdays as the results are not favourable in a work environment.

I stay away from most deep fried items, and never touch things such as chicken balls....

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Catw
on 4/7/14 2:12 am - Arnprior, Canada

As was said, each person is different.  Early out, ground meat is easier to digest.  I had a hard time with solid meats like steaks, chops, etc.  I still can't eat a lot of pork.  High fat and high sugar foods are still issues.  And also dairy products.  I can eat some lowfat stuff, but not a lot.  I also have to watch my garlic and onion intake.  Too much tends to cause a lot of gas pain.

Cathy

Lorieliz
on 4/7/14 3:19 am - Canada

No steak (used to be my favourite thing - besides ice cream which I can also NOT eat - blech), no chicken wings, greasy is way worse for me than sweet.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

Delicious_Delilah
on 4/7/14 4:41 am - Ottawa, Canada

I can tolerate almost everything.  At the beginning, took a while to get the chicken and beef down, but eventually, was fine.  Bread took a long time, though I try to stay away from that for the most part. 

I also try to stay away from sugar, but do have some from time to time, but not too much or, as I discovered at Christmas, one too many Christmas cookies will make me dump.  Good lesson!  I stay away from deep fried foods...could eat a little, but don't find it appealing in the least. 

Oddly enough, have cravings I never had before, but for good things like grapefruit. This is a new craving that started about a month ago.  Never liked grapefruit before surgery, then passed them in the grocery aisle and could smell them...and had to have one.  Now, I could eat one a day.  Might be my body's way of telling me I need something nutritionally.

Everyone is different. 

DD 

Most Active