Finger nail health

4-Jane
on 4/6/14 12:22 am - Canada

Anyone have any ideas, or tips for painful splitting , tearing finger nails?

Respectfully Jane
on 4/6/14 12:30 am - Canada

I know eh I would like info on that as well!

Lolabug
on 4/6/14 12:38 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

I don't know if I have what you have but my thumbs usually break and start tearing below the white end of the nail. They've been doing that for years. I find that shellac on my nails helps them grow much better then before and keeps them more protected. Now when I get the odd tear, they put an acrylic powder over it and then the shellac. Lasts until it grows out. 

Katie M.
on 4/6/14 1:43 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Ask your salon if they offer silk wrap repairs and Bio Gel instead of acrylic and Shellac - much healthier for your nails! You can still use Shellac colour, but the bio gel base comes off much easier - less scraping and therefore less layers of nail that get taken off :) 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Laurie C.
on 4/6/14 12:52 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

My nails are very soft and rip also but that isn't any different than before my surgery.  I am probably healthier now than before surgery and I take my vitamins religiously as well as eat jello every day.

So I don't think I can blame mine on the surgery.  I like to have acrylic nails but I hate the money and time spent on fills every 3 weeks.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Katie M.
on 4/6/14 1:49 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Try Nail Envy nail strengthener by OPI. It usually takes a few weeks to work, but it really helps for most people! You can probably find it at beauty supply stores (Sally's for example) but if not you can get it from Amazon :)

The other option is to get a gel overlay from a salon, although that can be costly if you're doing it every two weeks and doesn't actually improve the health of your nails - just keeps them from splitting. 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

4-Jane
on 4/6/14 9:58 am - Canada

Thanks for the ideas I bought some sugar free jello, biotin and vitamin a.  I have never applied polishes or gels to my nails so those options might be more challenging for me..... I have two fingers covered with band aids and a home made healing balm

Respectfully Jane
Most Active