Pain meds

happypants
on 4/11/14 11:09 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi Linda,

I decided not to go through changing the medication. A big part of the reason is because the doctor at the pain management clinic was vague and didn't explain what the plan was afterwards. This left me feeling unsettled. I went back to my family doctor and explained how I was feeling, she completely understood and was 100% supportive of the decision I made.

In answer to your question regarding the suboxone. I was told it was supposed to help with the pain but also was to help with the withdrawal. There was far to much unanswered questions

Ann :-)

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Alese M.
on 4/5/14 7:55 am - FL

Hi Ann...

So sorry to learn of your kidney cancer that is now under control.  

I did not have kidney cancer but kidney failure due to Diabetes.  I was on dialysis until a kidney donor  (GIFT OF LIFE) was found.  I had a pancreas/kidney transplant 10 yrs ago now. No Diabetes now.  

Interesting that the doctor had to turn you on your side to do this WLS!  I had the VSG the normal way as in a laporascope.  Both new organs were placed in the front of my body as the kidney's are found in the back and the pancreas is more difficult to find in the back but it is there.  In short, I live with one donated kidney having both kidney's removed.  My VSG surgeon knew my concern re the scar tissue that will have developed at my 14-hr txp surg.. My new organs were below the laparacope but he did have some scar tissue but delt with it and I had no complications or severed nerves....Wouldn't that call for a lawsuit for incompetency?  Just my opinion as this has interrupted your life.

As far as the medicines for your kidney, calling the mfg was a great idea by one of the posters here.  Maybe look on the pc for interactions of medications for half a kidney or having one kidney.  I  try to stay alert for new meds given to me as I don't want any complications from meds on my txp.  

Gabapenton (Neurontin) is a drug for Diabetic foot pain.  I've been on that for yrs before txp so it is safe.  Non-narcotic...Nerve pain is so debilitating.  I have severe back pain (aging) and I never thought of Dilaudid...I don't want to be an addict to it but pain is pain and I don't do well with "PAIN".

One last thought, I did not have the RNY due to malabsorption from my anti-rejection meds...I couldn't take that chance.  However, I don't think you have that to worry about.

Good Luck to you...

alese inFLorida 

alese in SE FL    

happypants
on 4/11/14 11:28 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks a lot Alese for all your info and kind words, it sure does mean a lot. Regarding the surgery for RNY I had that surgery done lying on my back. The kidney surgery was done on my side because of the RNY and the scare tissue from that surgery. 

I don't believe that the surgeon is to blame for cutting the nerve. I think it was one of those unforeseen things that happen.The doctor has since tried to do what he can to help me so I dont hold him responsible.

Thanks for your help, it means a lot

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Alese M.
on 4/11/14 1:42 pm - FL

Hi Ann..

I don't know too much about the RNY but hopefully the nerve will regenerate and not be as painful as now.

I sincerely wish you good health and continued feeling as positive as you do.

Hugs, alese m.

alese in SE FL    

56sunShine14
on 4/5/14 8:18 am

I realize they do not have a degree as the docs do, but my pharmacist has been invaluable to me when I have had any question about the meds I take!  They may not have the info you are looking for but I would ask anyway and just keep whatever info they have in mind.

JennR
on 4/7/14 1:03 am
I find that pharmacist know much much more than the average doctor about medications, after that is their business. And yes pharmacists have a degree! They have a BA Pharmacy and have the option of getting doctorates as well. There are pharmacist technicians that have diplomas from college.

kellybelly333
on 4/7/14 12:19 am - Toronto, Canada

Hi Ann!!! 

I don't have much info to give, so i'm sending you a big HI and a hug from me!!

Kelly

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

happypants
on 4/11/14 11:29 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks a lot Kelly!!!

Ann

JennR
on 4/13/14 2:30 am
I think you did the right thing in sticking with what you know works. I have worked with oncology patients, surgical patients, palliative patients and briefly in ICU. Pain is so hard to get under control and manage that I can see where you would be very leery of rocking the boat. And it's not like you could try that medication and if it doesn't work you'd take what you'd usually take and it would kick in right away. Unfortunately chronic pain can't be managed that easily. Still I hope you keep exploring what's out there, different therapies, hopefully you'll come across something that works.

Most Active