Just got certified as a personal trainer!

JennR
on 4/3/14 2:19 pm
Hello all. It's been awhile since I've been on the boards. I had VSG back in 2011 in Hamilton. Since then it's been up and down. I hit about 190 and stalled or maintained at that weight (depending on how you look at it). I hit that emotional roadblock where I couldn't change my way of eating enough to lose anymore. But I am back on the road and losing again. I took a course to become a personal trainer and just got certified. I think as a WLS patient I have a unique perspective on fitness and how to help other WLS patients develop and fine tune exercise programs. Something that I would really like to see is the addition of personal trainers to the bariatric clinic staff. It seems to me they spend a great deal of time monitoring blood work and what we are eating but not enough time following up on exercise. Just doing a quick on line search and I don't see that there is barely anything being done with that. Anyway I just wanted to share this because I've been in a big slump lately and this has really helped to pull me up. For the first time in a long while I can see some future possibilities that didn't seem there before!

on 4/3/14 6:20 pm - Canada

wow that is great!  I agree with you.  I know nothing about fitness and would not begin to know how to set myself up on a fitness program.  My surgery is on April 22nd and right now i am just walking and not too far at that.  The weather up here is still very cold and snowy.  I live in Elliot Lake Ontario.  Honestly I dont think we will see Spring weather until August. lol.  I think that you are heading in a good direction.  Any free pointers or avice as to what I should start with. would be appreciated.  My surgery will be RNY.  Thanks.  :-)

JennR
on 4/4/14 5:09 am
Hi there. I'd love to help you out if I can. Send me a PM and we can chat more about it.

on 4/4/14 5:59 am - Canada

Hey Jen i cant figure out how to send you a msg other than here do you know how i do this/  I a little lost when it comes to my computer lol

Caroline K.
on 4/3/14 10:51 pm

Congratulations on your certification! You're right, adding a qualified personal trainer familiar with bariatric surgery to the clinic staff would be a great idea! I haven't seen much on it either, but http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy-living-article/60/8 96/after-gastric-bypass-surgery-are-there/ has what seems like a pretty good article on how fitness professionals can help bariatric patients.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

JennR
on 4/4/14 5:10 am
Thanks so much Caroline. I appreciate the link and I will definitely check it out. I am bookmarking all kinds of links and pages of information about fitness and bariatrics so this is great.

Jiliana2
on 4/3/14 11:13 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Congratulations!

I agree; having a personal trainer on staff or one who might accompany you to a gym or something of that nature would be EXTREMELY helpful. It might be something you can pitch to your local clinic where you had surgery. Or have them direct people to you if they are looking for pointers.

Either way, congrats on the weight loss and on getting the certification! What an excellent motivator!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

JennR
on 4/4/14 5:13 am
Thanks so much Jiliana! I'm definitely going to see what I can offer the clinic. Whether they have the funding or not is another story.

LittleMiss2013
on 4/4/14 12:05 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Would be nice if they had Bariatric Centers throughout Toronto that included Fitness, Yoga, Bariatric friendly restaurant, maybe even a used clothing swap shop or something. An all in one place JUST for Bariatric patients. Would be very cool =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

JennR
on 4/4/14 5:18 am
Definitely agree with you!

Most Active