Opti Fast help awful

Tina G.
on 4/1/14 6:59 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

Hello Friends:

I started Opti yesterday, Mon the 31st. I HATE it. I have tried both vanilla and chocolate and tried them with different flavours but no matter what I just want to throw it up, I am gagging like crazy....TMI? I spend much time in the washroom after drinking it..A friend that started it a wk ago calls it the Opti -trots and he is so right. I have surgery on the 14th with Dr. Klein at Humber Finch site Toronto. I fear it's going to be a very long two wks. Has anyone got any other suggestions for me to try with the Opti to make it more paletable? Has anyone else or is anyone else having as hard a time stomaching it like me?

Thanks.

Zizzler
on 4/1/14 7:02 am

Have heard that taking it extremely cold helps.  Good luck!

Northernlightsmom
on 4/1/14 7:10 am - Canada

I so hear ya! I struggled with opti more than the surgery. No matter what I did, I would gag. My advice .... buy a water bottle with a straw, add ice to the top and drink it quick. You can also blend a ton of ice with your opti in a magic bullet. The key for me was not to smell it. I hope it gets easier. Good luck!

Tara

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/14 7:13 am

Hi,I had to take Optifast for 3 weeks... the first 3-4 days are the worst, however it has to be done. I only ordered chocolate and I was ok with it mixed with lots of ice and blended. Just keep experimenting and find the combinations that you really like. Keep your eyes on the prize. 

beme_atlast
on 4/1/14 7:24 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/29/14

Ice is the secret!!!!   Drink the shakes very cold. I do really like the vanilla shake with a heaping teaspoon of instant coffee (decafe, of course).

Good luck....I have Dr.Klein too so I'm looking forward to hearing from you a few days after surgery!!!

Jane

HW-414, Start Opti-398, PS-369.1,GW-170... SURGERY Dr.Klein-Apr 29/14!!! 

Tina G.
on 4/1/14 7:36 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

When is your surgery? I have yet to find anyone who has the same surgeon as me, so cool. I take it you are on Opti now as well? I have tried it with ice and still hate it. I mix it and chug, then I fight to keep it down, and within a 30 mins I am in the washroom, stock up on toilet paper....LOL

Look forward to hearing more from you.

josh_h2
on 4/1/14 8:21 am

I just tried some a couple times to try to figure out "my mix".

The first time, I agreed, it was nasty - I don't think I had it mixed well - make sure you mix the he-double hockey sticks out of it.

The other thing I did, was get some of the crystal light or mio water flavouring, and put a bit of that in with it.  It did help

Good luck - and remember - short term pain for long term gain :)

Orientation at HRH - Jan 13, 2014. 1st Meeting with Surgeon (Dr. Klein) & blood work - Jan 30th. Sleep study - Feb 5th. RN, Dietician & Social Worker exams - Feb 25th, Internist - April 9th.  Dr Klein -April 23rd,PATTs Sept 2nd, Surgery, Sept 16, 2014, Opti Starting Weight - 343LB (Aug 26th).  Surgery weight 315LB  CW 215 17-Aug-2015)

beme_atlast
on 4/3/14 4:50 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/29/14

Hi Tina,   Yes...my surgeon is Dr. Klein and my surgery is on April 29th. When is your surgery?  I am on day 3 of Opti...so far no issues. One thing I didn't mention about my Opti shakes is that I dilute them alot more than is recommended.  I use about a cup of ice and a cup of cold water and then blast it in my magic bullet.

Let me know how you are doing!!!

Jane

HW-414, Start Opti-398, PS-369.1,GW-170... SURGERY Dr.Klein-Apr 29/14!!! 

Tina G.
on 4/3/14 5:42 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

Hi there, my surgery is on the 14th. Your lucky you haven't had any issues with the Opti. Today is the first day I haven't been trotting all day..LOL but I am having some nausea today and it's not fun. Where are you from?

Tina G.
on 4/2/14 2:49 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

Hi there,

FYI the opti shakes are not getting any better, I have just decided its best to use water from the water cooler and I mix it in a Magic Bullet so 3/4 of the cup of water blend and chug!! then I have to work to get thru keeping it down for about an hour, and then it's in and out of the washroom, with opti trots..sorry for TMI but for me its whats happening. I just hate it. I really really do hope you like it or at the very least don't have as hard a time with it as I do. I do know someone who is having surgery this Fri and she LOVES the opti..I think she's nuts but hey, we are all different.

Good Luck and  I will be sure to post about surgery watch out for me...add me as a friend if u like...

Most Active