Postponement fears!

otmama
on 3/28/14 11:44 am
RNY on 04/30/14

I have my PATTS appt. next Friday & I'm freaking out a little!  I have diabetes so I'm afraid my A1C might be too high.  Has anyone heard of surgeries being cancelled after the PATTS in Ottawa?  For any reason?  Eek!  I just feel like it's taken so long to get this far - I don't want it to slip away from me!

Orientation Session:  April 2013  Sleep Study:  July 1/13  Abdominal Ultrasound: July 16/13  Endoscopy: October 23/13  Pre-Surgical Class:  Dec 11/13  Surgeon:  Jan 6/14  PATTS:  April 4/14 Optifast: April 9/14  RNY Surgery: April 30/14

Zizzler
on 3/28/14 1:26 pm

Have not heard of it - anything is possible, but I'm sure it will be fine. How come you are having PATTS so early?  I thought it was usually a week or less before surgery?  Or maybe it is different in Ottawa?  If you are worried about your Diabetes then call the centre and ask them, or bring it up during PATTS appointment. I hear what you are saying about not trusting that it will happen. the process is so long and a rollercoaster of ups and downs and delays throughout, it is no wonder you feel like it will never happen. You are almost there - I am so excited for you!  wishing you the best of luck with the rest of the process.

otmama
on 3/29/14 12:22 pm
RNY on 04/30/14

Hey Zizzler - I heard that you can go in for your PATTS anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks before surgery.  Thanks for the kind words - it really is helpful:)

Orientation Session:  April 2013  Sleep Study:  July 1/13  Abdominal Ultrasound: July 16/13  Endoscopy: October 23/13  Pre-Surgical Class:  Dec 11/13  Surgeon:  Jan 6/14  PATTS:  April 4/14 Optifast: April 9/14  RNY Surgery: April 30/14

willotree
on 3/29/14 9:58 am - Canada

I had my PATTS  yesterday. It went well and i am cleared and ready for my surgery in a month. I would call the clinic and ask them if you are worried. Good luck!

Orientation Feb/13- Scope Dec/13- Surgeon Dec/13-PATTS-March/28th-Surgery-April/28th/2014

otmama
on 3/29/14 12:20 pm
RNY on 04/30/14

Congrats willotree!  That's so exciting:)  I'm happy that everything went well for you yesterday.  So, what exactly did you have to do?  ecg, bloodwork & meet with the anesthesiologist?  As you can tell, I'm nervous - so knowing what to expect will help calm my nerves!  I'm going to take your advice & call the clinic on Monday just to get the results from my last bloodwork and to see if I should anticipate any problems.  Well - it's smooth sailing for you now:)  Let me know how optifast goes for you when you start - I picked mine up last week & I've been combing the boards looking for ideas to make it more tolerable!

willotree
on 3/30/14 10:50 am - Canada

Yes, i met with a nurse who went over my health history, i didn't need any blood taken because i had some taken in Dec, and i didn't need the EKG because i have no heart issues. I met the Anesthesiologist who was very nice and he went over everything that the nurse has taken down. He made sure i could open my mouth and put my head back with no issues, and asked about any previous experiences with anesthetic reactions. Oh, and they took my weight, hight, blood pressure and pulse. I am also very nervous, it is all very real now, and i just want it over with.

Orientation Feb/13- Scope Dec/13- Surgeon Dec/13-PATTS-March/28th-Surgery-April/28th/2014

otmama
on 4/1/14 4:14 am
RNY on 04/30/14

Thanks for your reply willowtree:)  I can totally relate - we've all been working towards this goal for so long that when it's actually on the horizon it feels really strange!  I've chilled out a bit bc I called the WMC & got my bloodwork results from Jan - which were awesome:)  Then I went to the pharmacy and forked over $45 to do a home a1c test - which is apparently very accurate - and it turned out to be lower than it was in Jan!  So I'm feeling good about Friday:)  Sending you good vibes as you prepare - all the best!

willotree
on 4/1/14 8:53 am - Canada

Good stuff! I am sure you will be fine on Friday! Good luck, keep us posted.

otmama
on 4/4/14 9:53 pm
RNY on 04/30/14

PATTS complete!  Ready to go for April 30th!  It was a breeze:)  I'm not an anxious person by nature - not sure why I had myself so wound up!  LOL  I guess I just have a lot riding on this one:)  Thanks for the support ladies:)

White Dove
on 4/4/14 11:36 pm - Warren, OH

Surgery will not be cancelled for a high A1C.  A high A1C is one of the things that surgery might fix.  Diabetes was why I had surgery. 

I had my pre-admission testing on Wednesday.  I had been doing my liquid diet and surgery was scheduled for the following Tuesday.  I had a high blood sugar reading at my pre-admission testing. It was around 300.  The surgeon called and told me that he would cancel is I was too high the morning of surgery.

I went through all of the things that I had been drinking and realized that I was drinking grape juice that I thought was sugar-free and it was actually low sugar.  I had drank a lot of that the previous day and it had a lot of sugar.  I threw it away and made sure I had only water, broth, sugar-free jello and sugar free drinks for the rest of the week.

I still worried all week, but on surgery day my sugar was 129, which was acceptable to the surgeon.  If you make sure to keep your sugars down between now and surgery there should be no problem. 

If you are not testing at home, please start doing it.  Do it for you own peace of mind more than anything else.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active