multi vitimins

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/14 10:39 pm - Canada

Hey everyone. Quick question, can we post ops take regular multi vitimins in stead of chewable multi vitimins? The regular multi vitimins are huge. Just wondering if they will break down fully.

kellybelly333
on 3/26/14 10:58 pm - Toronto, Canada

In a recent session with OKNEE (who is a Blood Conservation Nurse with Humber, and a fellow WLS patient) she asked us to put in our vitamins in vinegar. Crushed up chewables dissolved obviously quicker, and the pills just sat there. Now vinegar is much more acidic than what we have in our pouch....which is the point. Chewables, and sublinguals, are absorbed faster, and more complete. (Leona, if you're reading this, I hope I got that right - lol) 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Monica9811
on 3/26/14 11:00 pm - Peterborough, Canada

I didn't know that. I've been swallowing my multi for a long time. 

franky13
on 3/26/14 11:19 pm

I did chewable until 6 months post op, now I swallow, Jameson Pre Natals :)

Referred September 2012, HHRH Orientation December 2012, Meet with surgeon January 2013, Meet with and testing with Dr Glazer May 2013, PATTS July 4, 2013 - 325lbs, Surgery HRRH August 1st, 2013 - 299lbs, second surgery late August 2nd to drain fluid, Discharged August 5th - 294lbs, reached 1/2 way to goal at 16 wks, MOM of three kids, married for 13 years :)

birdiegirl
on 3/26/14 11:35 pm

Almost 5 years post op and I still crush my pre-natal vitamin every morning....and down it quickly with some water.....I have had few issues ( knock wood)....other then with calcium which was my fault for non-compliance the first 2 years....now I ensure I take my liquid calcium twice per day without fail

Northernlightsmom
on 3/26/14 11:56 pm - Canada

Hi, Our follow ups in Windsor are with an internest. He made is very clear that chewables are the best way to go as studies have shown the post ops (RNY) have often not been able to digest the tablet for a variety of reasons. Some patients he said had even expelled them almost whole. Just relaying what he told me Tuesday. Chewable for me.

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

Needanewbeginning
on 3/27/14 12:04 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Well I'll be *#!!!. I didn't know that. My folks at HRRH said I could stop crushing my Costco prenatal aka horse pill after three months and take it whole. Gulp. No could do. I had to cut in in two for a few more months. Now I just take it whole. She explained to a group of us that meds should dissolve in the intestine as that's where they are absorbed best, according to them anyway.

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

zephie
on 3/27/14 12:52 am - Moose Factory, Canada

I have been taking 2 - 1 a day women's + for the last 6 months....been taking them whole with warm water just before bed ...split them up until about 3 months out. Bloodwork is perfect so it must be work along with Calcium, Vitamin D & B12.

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

kellybelly333
on 3/27/14 1:55 am - Toronto, Canada

Just an FYI, blood work often doesn't start changing early out, as our bodies are using up the rest of the vitamins we've stored for years. My iron took a nose-dive starting at nine months out, without properly getting our vitamins in (in the best-absorbed fashion) our levels will start to drop. My levels were great at six months out too. We don't have the acid to break up the pills, it just makes sense to me....sadly i've only been doing chewables again for the past year.

WIsh I had kept with chewables/liquid all along!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Mary A.
on 3/27/14 1:51 am

I have taken Bariatric Multi VItamins (chewable from about 8 months post-op) I am not 5 years post-op and still take this brand~

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active