My Favorite Kitchen Gadget - Attention Pasta Lovers!

BluIzGal
on 3/24/14 5:37 am, edited 3/24/14 5:40 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

I am a kitchen gadget freak.  I only started using them since I started cooking which has been in the 20 months since RNY.  I always loved what gadgets did but hey, pre-surgery I ate out most of the time.  I LOVED pasta.  Since surgery pasta and rice are extremely painful for me to eat and usually leads to vomiting to relieve the pain associated to eating it so other than a couple of tries I no longer eat it.  I bought a cookbook on healthy meals and funny enough, no nutritional info (it drives me crazy but the thought is, if you are eating healthy and correct portions, calories aren't essential).  Anyhow, in this cookbook there is a tool called a "spiralizer" and the one the author recommends is by Paderno.  So I'm thinking being Paderno that it's going to cost a crap load of money.  I found it online on Amazon (funny enough - I couldn't find it at the Paderno store) for $38.00. 

http://www.amazon.ca/World-Cuisine-Tri-Blade-Plastic-Vegetab le/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395688899&sr=8-1&ke ywords=paderno+vegetable+spiralizer

I wish I knew how to take a picture and load it (I suck with technology) to show you my dinner.  I use zucchini and it comes out looking like spaghetti.  I warm it in a pot, add a bit of meat sauce and top it with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.  It is filling and allows me to enjoy pasta without the associated pain.  It is definitely a kitchen gadget I recommend.  There are three different blades and you truly are limited only by your imagination.

Patricia

Caroline K.
on 3/24/14 8:34 am

That's a great idea, thanks!

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Patm
on 3/24/14 8:42 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Cool gadget. My husband would probably freak. I have so much crap I do not use more than once. Another way to have past is use spaghetti squash. When cooked it is stringy. Use a fork to separate it. Quite good

zephie
on 3/24/14 1:50 pm - Moose Factory, Canada

My daughter and I have one ...pasta was one of our trigger foods which pre-surgery we chose to never eat it again....then she discovered the spiralizer...its awesome....we use homemade ground turkey spaghetti sauce poured over zucchini or carrots...or any other veggie that we can find.  Even our dinner visitors have commented on how good the dishes are that we make. We would recommend it highly for WLS. Sure was a great find!!

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

momjan
on 3/24/14 2:56 pm - Canada

Shirataki tofu noodles, located in the produce section beside the tofu, is also great.  Best if you do NOT boil it; just rinse it really, really well (smells like fish otherwise), and warm it slightly.  Wonderful alternative as well.  I also just julienne zucchini for pasta...

chrisandrachelle
on 3/25/14 12:27 pm - Canada

I sell Pampered Chef and we have a tool called Spiral and Slice and it is 30.00 + tax message me if you want [email protected]  I love it!!

Zizzler
on 3/25/14 9:36 pm

Such a cool product thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/14 10:35 pm

I bought one like Frisco posted the other day.I love it.I use it to make zuchini noodles.I love it.Tonight I am going to make a cucumber salad with it.It is nice for different textures.

Most Active