Gastric Sleeve offered by OHIP?

OKNEE FE + 3
on 3/18/14 9:03 am

simply a medical condition that would preclude RNY the example they use is Inflammatory bowel disease.   Your Dr may have chosen this without disclosing the diagnosis hoping they don't ask if tgey do wave bye bye to the VSG

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

Steps78
on 3/18/14 10:26 am

Again I'll have to disagree. This makes no sense as I have never had any of these medical conditions. My bariatric doctor here in Windsor did not suggest any of these precluding conditions to the surgeons in Toronto. I find it hard to believe that the surgeon up in Toronto would "create" any medical condition at the first and only consult that Windsor patients get. I know individuals going through the process here who are told to get numerous extra tests for IBD and IBS and any other gastro intestinal problems before they are ok'd for surgery. A need for NSAIDs however can be hidden since treatment can be over the counter meds. 

I just want people to know that there are hoops to jump through and if you are advocating for yourself you may need to research and find the loopholes. Also, there are certain doctors who are more open about the idea of VSG than others. 

Ontario residents deserve the right to choose which surgery they think is best. This does not mean reaching for utopia, it means getting the same rights as residents in Alberta, British Columbia, and Manitoba. Until that time (it is coming) fight for what you want. Play the game. 

Ok I'll get off my soap box now and leave this thread to the opinions of others :-)

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

roper
on 3/19/14 2:13 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hi Guys, I'm glad to hear different opinions on my topic. It is really making me to search again and again for the best option. The good thing after all is that I see most of you already lost huge number of pounds whether on VSG or RNY. Wish to have the same as you.

have a great day

Cookies-and-Cream
on 3/19/14 2:31 am

Hi Roper

check out US forums. There is a lot more information on VSG and self-pay

Tom R.
on 3/23/14 1:54 pm - Lindsay, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13

Hi Roper,

I'm listing my experience below, in case it is helpful.

I researched the various surgery types and decided that I wanted VSG.  But I knew that OHIP (and that's where the problem lies) really wasn't interested in what I wanted.  So I booked my VSG in Mexico, put down my deposit and bought plane tickets.  Come hell or high water I was going to get VSG since there was no medical reason that I should not have this.  But I was already registered in Ontario and it just so happened that my appointments moved along more quickly than expected.  So now the Mexico and Ontario solutions were running neck-and-neck.  I met my Ontario surgeon and expressed my interest and researched reasons for wanting VSG.  And also that Ontario was actually Plan B, Plan A was Mexico.  To my surprise (and to his credit) he actually listened, said he would consult with his colleagues and get back to me.  Three days later, he's approved me for VSG.  I lost my deposit to the Mexico clinic and my surgery here happened 5 months later than I could have got it in Mexico but I preferred to stay in Ontario, save a bit of money and get much better after care.  I'm just over a year post-op and am very happy with how things worked out.

It looks to me like maybe the St. Joe's, Toronto surgeons are a little more VSG-friendly, although I'm only basing this on my experience and that of other posters.  Some day OHIP will wake up to the fact (and over a decade of test results) that VSG is quite an acceptable and effective first-line procedure, on par with RNY.

~ Tom

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Cookies-and-Cream
on 3/23/14 2:00 pm

great story, Tom. My surgeon didn't even listen. He said I was delusional and not ready for surgery. So, Mexico, here I come :) Would you mind telling me what surgeon you wanted to go with. You can share in PM. Thanks

Most Active