Gastric Sleeve offered by OHIP?

Steps78
on 3/17/14 3:19 pm

This is incorrect according to the clinic in Windsor and the surgeons at TWH. 

It is quite frustrating that rules are not the same across the province. 

On top of that, there are other Canadian provinces that allow individuals to choose which surgery they want without the hoop jumping. It should be the same way here in Ontario. 

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

Onward and
Downward

on 3/20/14 5:37 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Yup, exactly re: NSAIDs.  When I asked Dr. Cyriac at my surgeon meeting at TWH (he didn't do the surgery, he just did my surgeon meeting appointment) for VSG because I used to take Advil for migraines, and also for some arthritis pain in my shoulder, he told me that isn't a good enough reason to do VSG since you really shouldn't be taking NSAIDs with a VSG either, since the staple line is actually much longer on a VSG. I was surprised, having heard here on OH that you can take NSAIDs with a VSG, but he said no, you can't take them regularly. He said that you can take one occasionally when desperately needed, but then he told me I could take one if desperately needed once in a long while with the RNY too. But I never have. Not even once.

And the best part? Since surgery I have not had one migraine. Not even one. I used to get them once or twice a week with full auras and everything before surgery. And my arthritis pain in my shoulder is gone since losing so much weight.  So luckily, I haven't needed Advil.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

m1randa55
on 3/16/14 10:49 pm - Brantford, Canada

It is quite a process to even make it to the surgery stage. Perhaps starting with an orientation and making contact with the staff at the clinic would be a good first step. There is so much information online that it can be overwhelming. I was convinced that if I had RNY I would die of malnutrition...I had it and I am healthier now than ever. However, I made that decision after many, many medical work ups, appointments, etc. I figured that even if I didn't have surgery I would have a really good picture of my health and what kind of trouble I was courting.

Best of luck!

Bev from Brantford, Ontario, Canada RNY - Feb.27, 2014 @ St. Joe's Hamilton - Diabetes in Remission & Blood Pressure normal now. YAY!

HW - 303 lbs CW(pre op) - 274.5  at 5 months out 202.5 lbs Current weight on Aug.18/14 is 195 lbs May 2015 at goal - 160 pounds

roper
on 3/16/14 11:19 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Thanks M1randa, when did you have your RNY? Any dumping syndrome yet?.

Steps78
on 3/17/14 3:15 pm

VSG is a viable option and it works. No one knows what the future holds concerning complications and such, and everyone's medical needs are different. Percentage of weight lost at 2 years out is equal for both RNY and VSG as stated in the obesity journal where stats come from the states and where many more people get the VSG than here in Ontario. Each surgery has pros and cons. RNY has a greater incidence of reversing type 2 diabetes and cures GERD. RNY has a greater rate of weight loss (on average) but as previously stated, at 2 years out it is equal.  However if you do not have any of these medical issues you must ask yourself if a lifetime of mineral malabsorption is worth a year to a year and a half of calorie malabsorption? Do you have a large amount of weight to lose and therefore would be the most successful with the RNY? Most importantly, have you begun the process to determine why you are overweight in the first place? Because regardless of what surgery you have, you still can choose what to put in your mouth. Good luck to you and your further research. Take your time and do not rush. You must be at peace with your decision. I came to a place of knowing that if VSG was denied I would have gone the self pay route. Luckily the doctor agreed with my choice and I had VSG 2 months ago. 

Good luck to you!

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

roper
on 3/17/14 11:16 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Thanks a lot steps78, this is really very helpful. do you know the how much time I should wait till I have the surgery?. Have a great day

Steps78
on 3/18/14 1:48 am

Everyone is different Roper, but a decent amount of time is needed. I had my surgery 8 months after orientation and feel this was perfect for me. I suggest you go through your bariatric centre as well and use their resources such as dietician, social worker and endocrinologist because you really get a lot out of these appointments. They set you on the right track of understanding what is needed to be successful and what to expect post surgery. Of course at the end if you are denied you can self pay and probably have the surgery a few days later if you wi****hink it would be worth it psychologically and financially to go through the process with OHIP first, then look at self pay if your heart is set on VSG. Good luck. 

roper
on 3/17/14 11:18 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Thanks again M1randa55, your information really very helpful. do you know the average time since my first visit till I have surgery?.

OKNEE FE + 3
on 3/18/14 12:38 am, edited 3/18/14 12:42 am

Just to be clear I am not anti-VSG.   I do have issues with people thinking it's a safer surgery with fewer complications,  as someone who has suffered just about every complication common to VSG I can tell you this is not true.  I am also against having to meet certain criteria set by OHIP before VSG can be considered removing patient choice from the equation.   Finally I have a serious issue with the inconsistency in the way set criteria is applied at various centres.  If you got a VSG because you are NSAID dependent it's because your surgeon bent the rules.  I assure you on the document he submitted on you behalf  the words NSAID DEPENDENT do not appear.   I am not saying NSAID DEPENDENCY should not be  a criteria I am saying it isn't. 

In Utopia we would be able to get VSG on demand.  Alas this is Ontario. l

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

Steps78
on 3/18/14 1:56 am

This just further demonstrates the inconsistencies with this program province wide. I am not NSAID dependent. The doctor told me he would write NSAID dependent down so I could get VSG. Those were his exact words. Whether he wrote something else I do not know but he couldn't have used any other reason without medical proof right? Scar tissue, IBD, previous WLS .... These conditions would have been in my file... again, it's a mystery!

Most Active