Scale Obsession - Lent

kellybelly333
on 3/10/14 1:41 am - Toronto, Canada

I'm posting this on my Facebook page, but I thought it would be relevant here as well.

So i'm a bit behind in posting this (almost a week, I suppose). But i've decided to give up the scale for Lent.

First of all, i'm not a religious person, per se. My family never went to church, but I did. I loved Sunday School, and continued on with being Confirmed when I was 14, and even teaching Sunday School in my early 20's, and religion kind of petered off after I got married. The United Church spoke of Lent, but as my family wasn't religious, I never really considered it (and I was happy for it, because my Catholic friends all had to give up chocolate or chips for 40 days....over a month?? no way, said the young food addict in me).

Last week we decided, at my kid's request, to have a Pancake Tuesday dinner. At the table we talked about why it was Pancake Tuesday, and Ash Wednesday and Lent. I touched on the religious aspect, but spoke more of the self-awareness and learning ways to better yourself during this period. They took it in, and talked about what they could give up, and then dismissed the idea...which was totally expected.

And with that, I decided I would not give up a food item, as in general, I do pretty well. Instead, I decided to give up my slave....my scale. This might be easy-peasy to some of you, but it's hard for me. I have used this piece of equipment to "keep me on track", but a lot of the time it just makes me feel bad, or wonder what i've done wrong, or I feel great because the right number showed up. So, even with this past weekend of not great eating, I remained off the scale. I know it would not give me a number I like, so why do I need the proof?

40 days of not-weighing in....i'll let you know how it works out.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Patm
on 3/10/14 1:53 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Good for you. I must admit I am not sure I could do this. Might be worth a try

kellybelly333
on 3/11/14 1:11 am - Toronto, Canada

Pat. The scale, and logging into MyFitnessPal to see how many consecutive days i've done has been a bit of an obsession for me. I lost my days on MFP a few times, just by technical issues, so I had them readjust my streak, but then I actually did miss a day and I felt bad.....which is ridiculous! So far, i've been really ok without weighing myself. And I will weigh myself on the day we leave for our cruise on Good Friday. Perfect timing.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

em_dep_qua
on 3/10/14 3:09 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13

There is no way I could do this right now.  I should try giving up my coffee... the doc said I could have one a day but I find I am drinking two (total lack of energy).

Good Luck keep us up dated.

Michelle

Referral sent - Jan 11/13  Orientation - Apr 4/13  Nurse & Dietitian - Apr 8/13 (287 lbs)   Food Class - Apr 10/13  Social worker - Apr 29/13   Nurse, Dietitian & Social worker - Jun 3/13 (284 lbs)   Meet Surgeon - Oct 31/13 (277 lbs)   Post-op food class - Nov 4/13   PATTS - Nov 6/13 & Nov 15/13   Surgery - Nov 19/13 (264 lbs)

http://static7.fitbit.com/simple.b-dis-png.hfae558bc2c41731b503ebe7a6047f0d8.pack?items=%2Fimages%2Fdash%2Fbadge_lifetime_kilometers250.png  https://static0.fitbit.com/simple.b-dis-png.h30068d83181db189c8748b935814ece7.pack?items=%2Fimages%2Fdash%2Fbadge_lifetime_kilometers750.png    http://static2.fitbit.com/simple.b-dis-png.h6dfcb257cfbfba6f178818461d9f9962.pack?items=%2Fimages%2Fdash%2Fbadge_lifetime_kilometers1k.png  https://static0.fitbit.com/simple.b-dis-png.h47ce919ba710f3cfedaa1d34fa9522e8.pack?items=%2Fimages%2Fdash%2Fbadge_daily_steps10k.png  http://static5.fitbit.com/simple.b-dis-png.h58e6c75703a655be91bb229e9a500540.pack?items=%2Fimages%2Fdash%2Fbadge_daily_steps15k.png    https://static3.fitbit.com/simple.b-dis-png.h2e5f0b0a057c1141c8c09aa96f17b8c3.pack?items=%2Fimages%2Fdash%2Fbadge_daily_steps25k.png

Hanneli xoxo
on 3/10/14 4:07 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

good luck with that! Better you than me! lol!! my scale keeps me accountable... I like to weigh myself.. but if i iss a day or even 2 or 3 from being at my guys place it isn't the end of the world, either!

libra1
on 3/10/14 5:17 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

Wow, I'm impressed. That's a difficult thing to do. I'd be interested if, by the end of the 40 days, being free of the scale was liberating or not. The funny thing is, we usually have a sense of whether we've gained or lost even before we step on it.

Please keep us updated on what the experience is like.

Needanewbeginning
on 3/10/14 5:29 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I shake with the thought of not stepping on the scale for 40 days. Amazing though, before wls, I don't think I had stepped on a scale in years, on purpose of course! 

Good luck pal.

Annette 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Monica9811
on 3/11/14 4:15 am - Peterborough, Canada

That is awesome Kelly!  I don't know if I could do it for 40 days-I get on every day but usually am not surprised by the number.  I should even try it for a week and then maybe try it for 2 weeks.  Baby steps lol.  Let us know how you do. 

csbsteph
on 3/11/14 4:34 am, edited 3/11/14 5:31 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

Thanks for your post; lent has been on my mind a lot too as I've given up a lot of bad foods/drinks that I'm thankfully no longer missing.  My surgery is in 2 days so I'm on clear liquids now-and instead of complaining I'm just blessed for what I can have.  I'm not catholic but the more into my study I get of the life of Christ, even though my family never observed lent it seems to have so much more meaning to me now; He like lots of us struggled every day too. Thanks for your post &...

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

Mary A.
on 3/11/14 4:52 am

the religious aspect aside, I was never a scale watcher I read TOO many threads on this board and others where people became a slave to the scale obsessing over every lb up and down, not realizing that inches and weight re-allocation also made a difference.  In the first 18months or so, I weighed myself (once a week) on a Sunday and that way I didn't drive myself crazy~!

KUDOS to you to giving up your scale...hopefully it will be longer than lent

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active