Fibre at 5 weeks post-op

Jiliana2
on 3/5/14 9:59 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

At one month post-op, I think I'm doing pretty well. With a little effort, I am getting about 70-80 g of protein a day (30g in the form of a shake for breakfast). Meals are about 1.5-2 oz of protein. I'm getting in almost 1.5-2L of water a day, some in the form of decaf/herbal teas. I'm usually hitting between 600 and 700 calories, and I'm focused on the protein first.

However, I'm sadly lacking in the fibre department. And it's becoming a problem.

To combat this, I've started doing a few things in the the last four or five days. I'm having two whole wheat Triscuits per day, and I've added 1/2 oz of All Bran to have as a snack in the morning. Stewed prunes? I don't know. I was looking at adding something like Benefibre to my water, but I can't seem to find it. I read that Costco makes a similar item, in the Kirkland line. And I've wondered about adding Metamucil capsules (like we were advised to during the Opti phase).

I have to do something... I was averaging about 2-4g of fibre per day but I'm up to about 8-10 with these added measures. Still not enough. I don't want to overdo on the carb count, so I am tossing the question out to you...

At this stage in my recovery (not yet able to eat salads or raw vegetables), how do you get enough fibre in your diet without overloading on the carb count? And if anyone knows where to get some Benefibre I'd be grateful. I heard they took it off the market in Canada. Ideas and brainstorming MOST welcome! Thanks in advance everyone!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Needanewbeginning
on 3/5/14 10:58 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Looks like your doing very well! I had constipation issues for some time post op, I think its pretty common. I was told by my team to use 'clearly fibre' not Metamucil. There is a big difference.  Clearly fibre ( or a brand with Inulin fibre not psyllium fibre) works best and HRRH highly recommends this type of fibre. Check with your centre though.

Psyllium dissolves in liquid, but if you leave it a few moments you see it binds again like a jelly, that isn't good for early post op.   It can and does stick in little places along our staple lines. Dr Hagen told me to "please, don't use anything but clearly fibre the first few months". I used it as part of my vitamin routine everyday post op. It really helped me. You can find it in most grocery stores, loblaws/zehrs have their own brand for example. You can find it right beside the Metamucil brand. 

I personally wouldn't recommend any type of prunes, too much sugar, as natural as they are, they are loaded in it and your a little too early out maybe? My buddy Monica9811 had a great suggestion for me months ago, once I was able to add nuts to my diet, I would have 4-6 raw almonds a day, they helped a lot as well. I had triscuits as well, thru some tuna or a little bit of laughing cow on them, yummy. 

I found adding the clearly fibre to two bottles of water a day really helped me, just part of my routine now.  I only use one dose of it a day.

Good luck, keep up the great job! Your doing very well. 

Annette 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Solstice
on 3/6/14 12:14 am
RNY on 11/27/14

Good Day,

Just wanted to say, as I am starting this process, how much these conversations help. I am making notes already from your experiences. Brand names of things I am not aware of are so helpful.  The encouragement you show each other is so amazing! This is a wonderful community!

Connie

Solstice

Caroline K.
on 3/6/14 12:22 am

Apart from adding inulin fibre, what about ground flax seed? My naturopath is a fan, and I'm still pre-op. A bit of carb, a bit of fat, a bit of protein, and a bit of fibre. Seem rather well-rounded for 1 tbsp/dose.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

SuzieQ11
on 3/6/14 12:58 am - Whitby, Canada

At my one month follow up they recommended Fiberific, available at Walmart. I don't have experience with it yet - but I'm picking some up this weekend.

Referral: May 25th, 2013 / Orientation: June 17th. / Dr. Glazer: Sept. 3./ RN/RD/SW: Sept 5./ Follow up SW October 4 / 2nd appt with Dr. Klein: Oct 30 / Surgery date: Jan 15

m1randa55
on 3/6/14 10:12 pm - Brantford, Canada

100% white grape juice, about 1/4 cup mixed with a litre of water and sipped throughout the day helps me a lots :)

Bev from Brantford, Ontario, Canada RNY - Feb.27, 2014 @ St. Joe's Hamilton - Diabetes in Remission & Blood Pressure normal now. YAY!

HW - 303 lbs CW(pre op) - 274.5  at 5 months out 202.5 lbs Current weight on Aug.18/14 is 195 lbs May 2015 at goal - 160 pounds

Leanne1
on 3/7/14 12:36 am - Newmarket, Canada

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/31/high-fibre-foods_n_4 178239.html

If the carb count is coming from  healthy foods then it is not bad. Try to stay away from the bad (junk) foods, sugar, breads, pastas and rice

In the link there is a list of high fibre foods.. I can't eat many veggies, they don't sit well with me (even 3.5yrs out) Carrots is one of them BUT if I cook them, they are ok for me

Most of the veggies in this list, you can cook and/or mash them to eat.

If you are eating the all bran... 1/2cup has 12g fibre and it will fill you up. Also, Special K has a good protein cereal ..10g protein 33g carbs and 9g fibre (for 1cup)

Are you tracking your foods?? If so, if you are getting 20-30g fibre per day, that is awesome!! I did some research and found out that women are supposed to aim for this amount per day. I was having ALOT of constipation issues and now I am doing MUCH better since finding that info out.

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Jiliana2
on 3/7/14 1:11 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14
On March 7, 2014 at 8:36 AM Pacific Time, Leanne1 wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/31/high-fibre-foods_n_4 178239.html

If the carb count is coming from  healthy foods then it is not bad. Try to stay away from the bad (junk) foods, sugar, breads, pastas and rice

In the link there is a list of high fibre foods.. I can't eat many veggies, they don't sit well with me (even 3.5yrs out) Carrots is one of them BUT if I cook them, they are ok for me

Most of the veggies in this list, you can cook and/or mash them to eat.

If you are eating the all bran... 1/2cup has 12g fibre and it will fill you up. Also, Special K has a good protein cereal ..10g protein 33g carbs and 9g fibre (for 1cup)

Are you tracking your foods?? If so, if you are getting 20-30g fibre per day, that is awesome!! I did some research and found out that women are supposed to aim for this amount per day. I was having ALOT of constipation issues and now I am doing MUCH better since finding that info out.

I am only able to do 1/4 cup of all bran at the moment. As a snack. Spread out during the morning. 1/2 cup and I think I would explode!

I track my food diligently on My Fitness Pal. As I mentioned, I was only getting 2-3 grams per day, and I'm only reaching 8-10 grams with the added measures I'm taking (i.e., 2 triscuits, all bran). I'm nowhere near 20-30! Lord I WISH!

I think most people are on the right track though. Trying to get the fibre I need from foods is just NOT going to happen. Certainly not at this point. Maybe not for awhile. So I'm going to seek two things today at the pharmacy: (1) relief from the constipation, and (2) inulin fibre that I can incorporate into my water and other liquids daily to keep me regular from now on.

The scale hasn't budged much in a week... I'm thinking the constipation might be... ahem... "behind" that problem!

Thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate it so much. This community has been so helpful along this path. I'll know where to come for any problems or questions I have, at ANY time of day!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Leanne1
on 3/7/14 1:18 am - Newmarket, Canada

Have you tried Colace or Senokot?? Those work well. 

I couldn't help but giggle at your "behind" that problem comment.... LOL!!!

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Jiliana2
on 3/7/14 1:42 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Colace! Excellent idea. I took that when I was pregnant for much of the pregnancy and it worked like a charm. Must try it again. I bet I'll get relief that way. Thank you for the tip and for jogging my brain!

Most Active