what if it doesn't work?

4kidcull
on 3/4/14 10:28 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/16/14

I am so paranoid that I haven't lost weight the way i expected to, since I am not eating very much at all!! I have tried to stick tot he diet outlined, and I am on week 3 so I am on pureed or soft foods - but honestly i can eat anything as long as I chew it all really good REALLY good (just a manual puree i guess LOL).  I have lost 17 lbs, and it seems that even this morning it is up 5 lbs???? how is  that possible...maybe sodium from the canned chicken/tuna? i just know I am upset, depressed and feeling like even  this major surgery won't relieve me of this body I am trapped in! I would tell anyone asking that everyone loses weight at different rates, but personally I can't take my own advice. I feel awful!!!  I just want to crawl into my bed and cry!

Mary A.
on 3/4/14 10:56 pm

the surgery is a tool, the mindset is a totally different thing.  YOu have to get to the (I can) attitude and not worry about the (what if's).  I am 5 yrs post-op and maintaining a weight loss of 100lbs...yes I did pack back 17lbs...but that is my own fault and I became to lax at the rules.

3 weeks and you lost 17 lbs...WOW...awesome..when have you been able to lose 17lbs in 3 weeks and not felt like ****totally drained and starving!!!

As I sit here eating my protein bar for my coffee break this morning....the choices are yours and as a good friend of mine who had this surgery the same year as I did has saide

She eats to live, she doesn't live to eat...so TRY your best to start making changes about your thought process..IT DOES WORK..and my only sage piece of advice is DO NOT become a scale watcher in the first year I would ONLY weight myself once a week..a gain of a couple of pounds...no biggy the body needs to work itself out and you will have those highs and lows in the first 7-9 months...

Get moving...start exercising and my thoughts always were if I don't have the wrong foods in the house I won't eat them..and that is true even 5 years later.

Sure I have potato chips,..but even at 5 yrs post-op I still portion those types of foods out.

All the best~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Patm
on 3/4/14 11:20 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You appear to be a light weight. You will not lose as fast as someone who has a lot more to lose. Also your hormones are going crazy right now. We store hormones in our fat. As the fat leaves it releases the hormones. So take a big breath and relax. You will lose and it will work are well are YOU want it to. If you fallow program and get moving as soon as you can it will come off.

Good luck

gunnabehealthy
on 3/4/14 11:45 pm

Sounds to me like the three week stall. I had this too and was able to eat almost anything and lots of it! I had a stall at this time too and lasted 2 weeks. Work through and and you will continue to loose! I DID!! I am one year post op last week, and down 115 pounds all together. I DOES WORK!! Trust the process. Good luck!

Catw
on 3/4/14 11:45 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Sounds like you are comparing yourself to others when it comes to weight loss.  Each person's weight loss is very personalized.  I'm posting a chart for you and everyone else (yes there are others) who feel that they aren't losing what is expected.  But remember, this is just a guideline, not a set in stone thing:

Expected excess body weight loss:
6 weeks - 25%
3 months - 35%
6 months - 55%
9 months - 70%
1 year - 80%

For patients weighing 200 to 250 lbs.
10 lbs. in first 10 days
15 to 25 lbs. in 6 weeks
25 to 35 lbs. in 3 months
35 to 45 lbs. in 6 months
60 lbs. or more in 1 year
70 lbs. or more in 18 months

For patients weighing 250 to 300 lbs.
10 to 12 lbs. in first 10 days
15 to 25 lbs. in 6 weeks
25 to 35 lbs. in 3 months
45 to 60 lbs. in 6 months
80 lbs. or more in 1 year
90 lbs. or more in 18 month

For patients weighing 300 to 400 lbs.
10 to 30 lbs. in first 10 days
25 to 45 lbs. in 6 weeks
35 to 55 lbs. in 3 months
50 to 80 lbs. in 6 months
100 lbs. or more in 1 year
120 lbs. or more in 18 months

For patients weighing 400 to 500 lbs.
10 to 30 lbs. in first 10 days
25 to 45 lbs. in 6 weeks
35 to 60 lbs. in 3 months
50 to 90 lbs. in 6 months
120 lbs. or more in 1 year
150 lbs. or more in 18 months

And remember, sodium, water consumption, T.O.M. and bowel movements can also make the scale show different things.

Cathy

Katie M.
on 3/5/14 2:28 am, edited 3/5/14 2:29 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

This chart has been so helpful for me when I start comparing. Good to bookmark it and keep referring back!

Trust me, the surgery will work :) Just stick to the plan set out by your centre, eat slowly, chew, protein first, start taking walks if you are able to and have a place to do it. You'll get there, don't worry! Your body works at it's own pace and the lighter you are the slower you lose, as other's have mentioned. Sometimes I can be up a pound or two if I don't drink enough water, have too much soup/sodium, or I'm hormonal. And it's normal to feel a bit of buyer's remorse/it's not working/depression in the first few weeks. Just keep working the plan!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

4kidcull
on 3/5/14 2:53 am - Canada
RNY on 02/16/14

Hormones must be crazy, all you responses made me cry!  Thank you all, this truly is a support group.  Unfortunately I don't have this at home. my hubby says no weight loss is something to be proud of, because of the way I chose to do it, he says I cheated.  I took the easy way out, but this is in no way easy it is really tough.

THANK YOU ALL!

fuzzypebble
on 3/5/14 3:11 am

I felt that way also at my 2 week appointment.  Trust me, you are not taking in enough calories to worry about not losing weight.  I only weigh myself on Monday 1st thing in the morning.  I keep a log of my weights. 

YOU CAN DO IT.  Remember to do your walking and get your protein and water in everyday. 

Bethany Notter

[email protected]

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/5/14 5:12 am - Windsor, Canada

Hi there.  

Ive lived this all and went through the same journey many, many years ago.  I want to say a few things. I have a few concerns about your posts. 

First of all, please take your scale away now. Focus on your journey and goals and not your scale.  Mentally this gets tough and your scale only intensifies your feelings.  Focus on the protein, water and walking.   

--have tried to stick tot he diet outlined, and I am on week 3 so I am on pureed or soft foods - but honestly i can eat anything as long as I chew it all really good REALLY--

I'm concerned about the statements that you wrote above.  Maybe I'm reading too far in to it but you really need to focus on following the rules.  That's where your energy needs to be right now. I'm not sure how to interpret what you wrote above as to whether you not eating enough or eating the wrong things or ?   But please follow your plan to the letter as much as you can.  It's only a short time and it will get much easier over time.  I'm concerned about you. Please focus on your healing and keeping your pouch or sleeve safe.  Please make sure that you are measuring.  

"I can eat anything" is a statement that always worries me.   I think some people expect some kind of magical reaction after surgery but there's no such response.  What we CAN eat is different than what we SHOULD eat.  Please don't test the waters or push the envelope. It is VERY normal not to have sensation in the pouch for a while.   Many of us don't throw up and don't dump.  I've never gotten the foamies or had anything stuck.   Please don't think that because you don't have these things that you are different.   

Focus on what you SHOULD be eating.  Focus on your plan.   Focus on walking and water and being determined to stick to your plan.  Put the scale away. I promise if you do these things the weight will take care of itself.    

Please take care of you.  :-)

dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

4kidcull
on 3/5/14 6:17 am - Canada
RNY on 02/16/14

Thank you, and I should clarify, I don't mean I can eat anything, I have been following the book I was given, and have just felt no aversions or like you said any negative pouch sensations.  I worried because i thought I should be feeling things like nausea or foamies. maybe I am just doing what I am supposed to so it doesn't hurt.  I have just heard so many comments about making sure you puree and chew to make sure nothing gets stuck or so that you don't get pain.  I haven't had to modify too much how I eat, just the speed and frequency.  I have never been one for eating junk so there I am good. and my biggest downfall was meat!! which is good, just have to cut down how much - but did learn this afternoon that chicken breast no matter how much I macerate it, at this stage it is too dry and does give me a bit of chest discomfort!! actually kind glad I felt it, made me remember why I had the surgery. Thank you everyone, I am no longer weighing myself - I did however take a quick tummy measurement (I didn't do all of my measurements  - I will do that at 6weeks) - and I have lost 2.5 inches! and I am sure there is still swelling!!

Thank you everyone!

Most Active