Time off work for surgeon app

healthynewlife
on 3/3/14 2:06 am - Guelph, Ontario, Canada

I would like to find out how long are the appointments when you are meeting your surgeon for the first time. Who do I see and what usually happens at those appointments…I need to take time off work, but I don’t know if I should ask for ½ day off or maybe just 2 hours or so?? What should I be prepared for? Thanks for any comments and advise, Jarka

Caroline K.
on 3/3/14 2:26 am

It was a while ago, so I don't remember exactly. I think it was a little over 30 minutes, but not an hour. Basically, my surgeon reviewed the RNY, associated pros and cons, detailed his surgical stats, and let me ask questions.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Lana00
on 3/3/14 3:31 am

It can depend on so many factors.  I had my initial surgeon's appointment in November in Hamilton.  I was told that it should take about 20-30 minutes.  However, there was a significant wait time to get in to this appointment.  I didn't usually wait long for any appointment that I had.  There must have been something else going on this day.  It took hours to get in there.  Once I got in there, the appointment was only about 15 minutes.  It seemed as though the surgeon just reviewed that everything was done (previous tests and the info from the internist) and then confirmed what kind of surgery I was going to have.

Good luck - you're getting close!

:)

Mary A.
on 3/3/14 4:36 am

why not try to schedule the app't for the latest possible time in the afternoon, that way you don't have to go back to work after your app't....I try to schedule my app'ts for after 4:00 pm and if booked far enough in advance it is usually accommodated.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active