RnY vs VSG (yes, again) :)

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/14 9:47 am

I am quite sure you all will get tired of me by the time I'll get to surgery :) I am like a pit bull with a stick on this issue.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

RnY Pros:

weight falling off quickly, could be sustainable long term if you watch yourself

RnY Cons

weight falling off QUICKLY. (no one said it was good to put your body through this stress)

no time to adjust the skin, hence extra surgeries for plastics

quite possible gall stones, hence extra surgeries

hernias, extra surgeries

bowel obstructions/twisting, ER, possible extra surgeries

osteoporosis

anemia

vitamin deficiencies

list goes on...

why do they pu**** as a gold standard ?

Nanato2
on 3/2/14 10:18 am, edited 3/2/14 10:27 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Probably because they have been doing RNY longer and have the stats to back it up and in time as more is known on the results from the VSG people may be able to elect which one they want.  I have also attended a seminar on the various types of WLS and it was shown that RNY reverses some health issue more than any other WL surgeries so if OHIP has these stats might be one of the reason they say the RNY is the gold standard.

All those Pros and Cons you listed are not only just for RNY they are also for VSG. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

kimber291
on 3/2/14 8:41 pm, edited 3/2/14 8:42 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I'm sorry but if your having such an issue with the surgery, why are you even bothering to put yourself through the stress of it? You asked me months ago through a fake OH profile you created why I blocked and deleted you from here and Facebook, this is exactly why. Your negativity was bringing me down.

I know this isn't the place to be airing this, but there is only so many times you can ignore these posts. It would be different if they were from different members...but it's repetitive...from the same person. 

Ask your surgeon these questions...that is what they are there for. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/14 8:48 pm

I don't have any negativity at all, I tend to research stuff concerning aspects of my life, especially my health.

I thought this was a forum for discussions. You can block me again and we would all be quite happy.

birdiegirl
on 3/2/14 8:50 pm

....to Kimber

OP.....do more research.....on your own......because if this is the complete list you have compiled ......you need to go back to the beginning and start your research again.....with your eyes open

kimber291
on 3/2/14 8:49 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Denial

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

Katie M.
on 3/2/14 8:57 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13
Leanne1
on 3/2/14 9:15 pm - Newmarket, Canada

I just wanted to point out... all the cons you listed, any of that could happen to ANYone, just just people that have wls. 

RnY Cons

weight falling off QUICKLY. (no one said it was good to put your body through this stress) If someone loses weight to quickly even on their own, it is still stress on the body

no time to adjust the skin, hence extra surgeries for plastics I have a friend that lost 200lbs and he still had to have plastic surgery; he lost it by watching what he ate and working out.

quite possible gall stones, hence extra surgeries People come into the OR where I work quite often with gall bladder issues, often for emergency surgery. (I work in a hospital and in the OR, one evening there were 4 emergency cases of people with GB issues)

hernias, extra surgeries can happen to anyone.. if you lift something to heavy, this could happen

bowel obstructions/twisting, ER, possible extra surgeries  same, can happen to anyone

osteoporosis      this happens due to lack of calcium                                                                       

anemia  my mom lives with anemia, has for yeeeaaarrs, she never had wls

vitamin deficiencies  if a person doesn't get adequate vitamins, they will have a deficiency. As Canadians, we all are deficient in vit D

I strongly believe that this surgery forces us to do what we should be doing... take vitamins, exercise, eat properly, live life to it's fullest, EVERYDAY! 

Like I said before, you have to advocate for yourself to get the surgery you feel is best for you! 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

kimber291
on 3/2/14 9:18 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I hope I don't get thrown off the board for my post, I just had enough of the posters negativity. She can call it what she wants but to me that is what it was. I friended her back in November when she joined as she really seemed to need a friend. I was just new myself, but I had done a ton of research before I even attempted to go see my Doctor about the referral to the Registry. She didn't have a clue back then, and obviously still hasn't done enough research now. There were all the same questions she has been asking here about the VSG over the RNY and going to Mexico etc, and I tried to explain that she wouldn't get the aftercare here, and that if she got sick she could be in a lot of trouble as no one may want to deal with her. 

I'm not usually like this but I guess this morning I just couldn't pass over the post. 

Sorry if I offended anyone else here, yes this is a place for support and help, but if your not willing to help yourself then no one can do it for you. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Leanne1
on 3/2/14 9:38 pm, edited 3/2/14 9:43 pm - Newmarket, Canada

no offence taken. 

She does have to do more research and asking questions is good to do. I can tell that she has done some research. But she has a long way to go yet. 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Most Active