help from runners

highlandbear
on 3/2/14 7:23 am - Canada

I thought I had my stomach issues all settle down so I could run without having to worry about my stomach acting up and having to find a bathroom. The last few runs it has started again.  Saturday was real bad for me and not fun when you are running 27k. Made it a very long run considering at one point I had to turn around and run back to hit the bathroom since it was the last one on the route I was running. I usually have a banana and greek yogurt. Not much for a run but i can not run with anything heavy in me. Do you think it could be the greek yogurt and do have any idea what I should try for fuel. I do gels on the run and it started after the first gel. Open to ideas. Thanks you guys

Zizzler
on 3/2/14 7:58 am

Not a runner right now but I have investigated gels in the past and found many contained caffeine and sugar in some form.  Could your gel be the problem? Here is a link: http://www.energygelcentral.com/energy-gel-basics/ingredient -glossary.

highlandbear
on 3/2/14 10:05 am - Canada

I am very careful on the gels that I do buy. I do not buy any with caffeine in them and I have been doing the same gels for the last 3 years. I can not see why it should start now. Thanks for the site.

kellybelly333
on 3/2/14 10:12 pm - Toronto, Canada

Talking to a few runners long-term RNYers, they have found that in the off-season their tummies don't get used to what we built up to during our first few years of training. From what I'm reading, I will always have to treat my long-distance runs (over 15-20 k) as if i'm brand new. I've already found last month when I got back into doing even 10k, that a pre-workout drink had me running to the bathroom before I ran...which never happened previously. I think somehow we are constantly chaging...even still. I see posts from people 5+ years after wondering why they are suddenly dumping on a protein drink they used to have.

I would quit the greek yogurt for now. Have peanut butter with your banana?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

highlandbear
on 3/3/14 5:00 am - Canada

Thanks for the advice. I will try the peanut butter. I am worried that it could be the gels and if that is the case I am in big trouble. I don't have much time left to get it under control. Could be a very long race

Most Active