Little help (VSG folks)

Galley
on 3/1/14 9:38 am - Canada

Hello all, 

A bit about me, as it will help with the assistance I am seeking.

I am 43, male and last weighed in at 506 lbs (not a typo unfortunately).  I have gained and lost at least 200 lbs in the past two years going from one thing to another, killing myself in the gym and starving myself of life and I have to admit that I can't do this on my own. This is my first post, but I have been reading the forums here for awhile now trying to come to some sort of decision.  I think the sleeve is my best option and I think I've found the courage to openly seek assistance. 

I've read hundreds of posts and it seems that the choice of doctors is going to be a harder choice then I thought so I am looking for some help.

I've always been told that it is better to learn from others experiences and then weigh the info so....

Can anyone recommend their surgeon/clinic? In/near Ontario as I will be going through OHIP and want to be as close as possible to home for this

Any questions I should be asking to determine if the doctor is right for me and my needs? 

What can I realistically expect out of life post-sleeve?(Short term)

Any further resources that have helped you?

Thank you for any and all assistance, and for helping me make this decision through your stories! (Post moved from VSG Forum)

JJ_
on 3/1/14 6:53 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you visit the web portal for the Ontario Bariatric Registry, you can find the spot to type in your postal code and it will determine which hospital that you would be referred to.  The first step of course is to visit a health professional (family doctor or other medical professional that this helping you with any medical issues) for a referral to the Ontario Bariatric Registry.  That gets the ball rolling.

Then once the Bariatric Registry sends your referral to the hospital that is closest to your home, the assessments will begin. 

I am in Ottawa and had RNY surgery on December 12, 2011.  I have not experienced any complications from this surgery.  I take the required supplements daily and do what is necessary to utilize the tool (eat nutritiously).  I have lost 160 lbs. and enjoy life once more.

Good luck in your decision of moving forward.  I am sure someone else will chime in with respect to VSG.

Judy

birdiegirl
on 3/1/14 7:41 pm

Hi Galley

All the best as you research and read and go forward....

If you check under the forums tab up top....you will see specific forums for the specific surgery's......I think you might find this helpful as well as the Ontario Forum

Also.....please look at the DS.....it is a VSG with a re-routing of your intestines to provide maximum malarbsorption......it may be something you should re-search....Dr Hong in Hamilton performs the DS in Ontario at St Joes

All surgeries will assist in weight loss.....some do more of the work for you......You could lose all of your weight with a VSG.....but you would need to go at it hard core......it might be a good idea to pose some questions on the VSG board and see if anyone has lost 300 pounds or so using the VSG.......I know some on the Ontario Board have lost 250 pounds with VSG.....( Nanato2 I am thinking of your daughter pinkjellybean)......but normally I would think of the VSG for those with a little less to lose .......

( sorry....I just see your last line where you mention this post was moved from the VSG forum....duh...lol....you already found that forum.....pose some questions on the DS forum too)

All the best to you....its a big decision....but once you have made it......it cant happen fast enough.....read read and do more reading on this site and in books......there is much to absorb

Nanato2
on 3/2/14 10:50 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

First off welcome to the board and second getting a VSG in Ontario is not as easy as going to the surgeon and asking for one. In Ontario RNY is the gold standard and they will do VSG for some but it depends on the doctor  however, if they feel you need a RNY they will not do a VSG.

I had to have a VSG due to medical reasons however, there are times I wish I had a RNY for the restrictions because I can eat everything and some very bad habits are creeping back into my life lately which I am trying to get under control.

I basically stopped losing around 9 months and have been going up and down 5 lbs since 9 months I am almost 13 months but maybe my body is happy with this weight I am okay with it but would like to have lost a bit more. 

If you stick with the plan 100% there should be no reason not to loose with either the VSG or RNY.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Galley
on 3/2/14 1:43 pm - Canada

Thanks all for the replies, seems I have a little more research to do but I appreciate the info.

Looking at all of the side effects and post op requirements for the various surgeries the VSG seems to be the best option to live with (for me).  I have heard that the RNY is the one most clinics/doctors recommend, so I think that is what I was looking for from those that did get the sleeve. What did they do or how did they go about finding the doctor to work with them to get that option.  

I know I am a bit naive about the whole topic and that there is a wealth of info on the interwebs but there is so much cross information and apposing studies out there that made me so happy to find these forums.  Real people with real situations, not group studies and theoretical info.

I will continue my research and keep reading until I get there.  Thanks again for all of the info so far :)

Nanato2
on 3/2/14 9:59 pm, edited 3/2/14 9:59 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Galley

To getting a VSG in Ontario it is not as simple as finding a doctor to work with as all surgeons in the Bariatric program can perform a VSG. When your doctor sends your referral to the Bariatric registry you are given the centre to attend based on your postal code and this is where you have to attend we do not get a choice of which one to go through.

Getting a VSG has to do more with do you have any of the requirements needed to have a VSG as OHIP has some guildelines for people to qualify for them to pay for the VSG. Discuss with the bariatric centre you attend and the surgeon you will meet with and research and take the inforamtion with you when you go.

I received a VSG because I have a medical condition that makes a VSG a whole lot safer than a RNY for me even though I went into this going to have a RNY it was the surgeon *****viewed my file and medical documents that told me that was the surgery I needed to have.

So research and speak with the professionals because in the end it is up to your surgeon to do the surgery that is best for you.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Most Active