One year post op and pregnant...

only_angel
on 2/26/14 1:33 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
RNY on 01/11/13

I had my one year surgiversary on January 11 2014 and a few days ago I found out that I am pregnant. Im super happy about the pregnancy but also worried because of my surgery and that I was supposed to wait til 2 years post op before getting pregnant. Has anyone one else gotten pregnant shortly after their one year post op? If so how did the pregnancy go? Were there any complications? Would you suggest a Doctor or a midwife. This is obviously my first pregnancy and Im kinda worried that a bunch of things could go wrong because of my rny.

aamber02
on 2/26/14 2:26 am

Check out the pregnancy forum here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/postop_pregnancy/

It seems like, because you are so fertile while losing weight, a lot of pregnancies happen earlier than planned after WLS :) I'd give your weight management clinic a call and I'm sure they'll hook you up with an appointment.

Referral: July 11, 2013         Surgery: July 14, 2014

only_angel
on 2/26/14 2:30 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
RNY on 01/11/13

\Thanks :) I called my clinic this morning, I am just waiting for them to get back to me. In the mean time I will check out the pregnancy forum 

Delicious_Delilah
on 2/26/14 2:50 am - Ottawa, Canada

You'll probably need a doctor to follow you during this pregnancy.  I remember their telling us that any pregnancy after weight loss surgery would be considered as a high risk pregnancy due to nutritional considerations, etc.  Good luck!

Hennagirliegirl
on 2/26/14 2:57 am - Canada

Congratulations, you must be super excited!

Terri

Test

Catw
on 2/26/14 2:58 am - Arnprior, Canada

Since I started on this forum, I've noticed a number of people on here that have become pregnant after WLS, and a lot of them earlier than a year. 

I'm guessing that the clinic will suggest you be referred to the "Special Pregnancy Unit".  It's for those who have forms of diabetes, high blood pressure etc.  It's not really a big deal, it just allows the doctors to monitor you closer.  If you are in the unit, you can get tests done quicker than if you go to a docs office.  I had my pregnancies pre WLS, and both were through this unit.  It was more visits, but I was fine.  They thought I had gestational diabetes the first time (bad test, my fault) and I had high blood pressure the second time.  Both were healthy baby boys (the second being almost 11 lbs but that's another story).

Congratulations on the baby, and don't panic, you'll be fine!

Cathy

only_angel
on 2/26/14 8:29 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
RNY on 01/11/13

I think what I am most worried about is that when I called my family doctor to get an appointment to be referred to an OBGYN, the nurse I spoke to pushed a midwife on me. When I had said I wanted a doctor she wouldnt hear about it and told me I had to talk to the midwives first and if they dont have room to call her back and then she would refer me to a doctor. So  is a midwife ok after rny?

Foy
on 2/26/14 9:15 am - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13

I know a few midwives and they are well versed in nutritional needs and higher risk pregnancies, however I don't know if they are the norm.

I would talk to your WLS clinic first.. I am sure your family Dr's nurse has a process to follow but sometimes WLS patients don't fit that criteria. See what your clinic says first.

Referral: July, 2012 Orientation TWH: November 12, 2012 NP/SW: March 25, 2013 Sleep Study: April 15, 2013 Nutrition Class: April 16, 2013 Dietitian: June 19, 2013 Psych: June 25, 2013  Dr OkrainecAugust 2, 2013  PATTS: August 9, 2013 Surgery Dr. Urbach: August 30, 2013

Catw
on 2/26/14 10:35 am - Arnprior, Canada

I don't know much about mid-wives.  Talk to your clinic first, they can let you know about your best option.  I'm not saying that a mid-wife wouldn't be fine, but if I was to have one, I'd want her knowledgeable about gastric bypass, and I would want to work out that she and the clinic could work together as needed.  Which ever path you end up taking, you and the baby will be fine.

Cathy 

hmtmomof4
on 2/26/14 11:42 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

I found out I was pregnant TWO months after my RNY surgery. I was using the EVRA birth control patch and used it flawlessly!! I also had YEARS of fertility treatments with my four other children so this was VERY unexpected to say the least.  I'm 11 weeks pregnant now and things are going great!  I would definitely suggest you get a referral to the high risk maternal fetal medicine unit near you.  They will monitor you a bit more closely to make sure baby is growing OK.  It's more of a concern during the third trimester when baby is growing so quickly.  Early on the baby does not need much to thrive....and ultimately baby will take it from you, wherever it can!!  I've had all my vitamins, iron, etc. levels checked and I am doing fantastic.  Still losing weight, albeit MUCH more slowly.....but the OB said this is fine.  My baby is growing right on track and maybe even a bit ahead of schedule.  I would also recommend a really GOOD prenatal vitamin. I take PregVit Folic 5 (through prescription).  It's taken twice per day and contains a higher level of Folic Acid which is very important for baby's brain/neural tube growth.  It's best to take a higher dose of this as we are not sure how well we are absorbing it after surgery.

I'd love to stay in touch with you! If you have any questions, let me know. Hang in there....these things happen sometimes and you will do great!!

Referral Sent: Jan. 2013, Orientation: Mar. 2013, Social Worker: Jun. 2013 Nurse: Jul. 2013, Nutrition Class: Aug. 2013, Dietician: Aug. 2013, Psych: Aug 2013  Surgeon: Oct. 2013, PATTS: Nov. 2013 SURGERY: Nov. 7th 2013!!!

Most Active