Diet Pop

Hanneli xoxo
on 3/3/14 10:16 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

DITTO! Occasionally I will get a can or bottle of diet cola and I will drink maybe 1/4 of it over a couple hours.. just not my thing anymore! I find it odd how I can go 2 months with no soda then crave one and drink 1/4 now. and I used to LOVE my diet pepsi! AND Chips are my trigger, too :(

White Dove
on 2/26/14 10:01 pm - Warren, OH

I went back to Diet Coke at a little over two years out.  My husband had just died and I joked that I did not drink alcohol, smoke, drink coffee, eat carbs or eat sugar and I needed to do something as a kind of stress reliever.  At first I had control and drank maybe a bottle or two a month.  Then started buying more.  When I quit, four years later, I was up to drinking six of the 16 ounces bottles sometimes before lunch.

The caffeine kept me very nervous and affected my sleep habits.  I ended up needing more and more caffeine and was drinking the energy shots along with the Diet Coke or Coke Zero.  I finally quit cold turkey.  It is still hard sometimes.  When you walk out of stores like Walmart there is a display with ice cold bottles of soda at the checkout.  I have to remind myself that it is an addiction for me.

Mary A.
on 2/27/14 1:26 am

pop for many is a slippery slope, and there are so many reports out there that even diet pop is not healthy.

..I gave up pop about 6 months prior to surgery and that was 5 years ago..I have had the odd sip of Dr. Pepper...maybe a couple of times a year..but other than that..it's NOT something that I have put back in my life.

I just wouldn't (my personal opinion)

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Curious.George
on 2/27/14 2:18 am - Canada

I used to drink diet Coke or diet Pepsi, it didn't matter which. I was truly addicted.  Therefore, for me to ever touch it again, I'm sure, would be bad news.  It is the thing I miss the most.  Therefore, I would not want to take the chance of becoming addicted to it again regardless of whether or not "I can" tolerate it. Hope this helps.

Referral Date: May 29, 2012;  TWH     Orientation: June 19,2012;     Nurse Practitioner Group Session and Social Worker Initial Assessment: September 25, 2012;     Nurse Practitioner One-on-One and Psych. Assessment: January 18, 2013;     Met with surgeon: March 8, 2013;     Pre-Op scheduled: June 20,2013;   Surgery scheduled: July 17, 2013!    Surgery Completed!

CCs_mum
on 2/27/14 10:39 pm

I have see many who also drink diet pop after RNY and one of the big things they complain about is gaining weight.... Hmmm maybe it's related somehow (slowly going back to old habits)

If you can break away from the old habits, it's a big key to success :-)

Have learned that I can't measure my journey only by what I've lost.  I've gained health and extra time on this earth ... that is most important

Mary A.
on 3/3/14 4:38 am
On February 28, 2014 at 6:39 AM Pacific Time, CCs_mum wrote:

I have see many who also drink diet pop after RNY and one of the big things they complain about is gaining weight.... Hmmm maybe it's related somehow (slowly going back to old habits)

If you can break away from the old habits, it's a big key to success :-)

hit the nail on the head...why go back to something that possibly led to weight gain in the first places, it's ALL about changing your habits..and that mean pop should remain a thing of the PAST

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Lorieliz
on 3/4/14 1:37 am, edited 3/4/14 1:37 am - Canada

I never used to drink anything but Diet Pepsi...I called it my "bubba".

I haven't had any diet pop for more than a year now and every once in a while I want one. Can't have it. I bought a caffeine free diet pepsi and I just don't like how it feels when I drink it. The carbonation really bothers my stomach. I have even tried sipping a fountain drink - it's easy to forget when your kids are having McD's and they offer - just don't like it.

I don't drink with food and water that tastes like anything bu****er makes me uncomfortable. Even Crystal Light...just doesn't settle.

Maybe it's mind over matter and I am psyching myself out, but I just can't pop drink anymore. I think everyone should just stay away from it. It has a bad reputation and, despite the probable number of "myths". there has to be a reasonable truth in there somewhere.

I wouldn't risk it on a regular basis, and "treats" can be dangerous. Food should never be a treat.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

Most Active