In preparation for surgery...

lalalalaura13
on 2/25/14 10:54 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi all - so I'm almost about 4 weeks prior to surgery but wanted to get myself all ready as soon as I can (so I don't have to worry about finding stuff at the last minute) ...to all of you who are post-op:

I'd love to get a list of all the things you think I will need / do need.  Some of you might have some things in mind that you wouldn't have thought of prior to surgery so that's part of the reason why I'm putting this request out.  I welcome all the suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

Northernlightsmom
on 2/25/14 11:30 pm - Canada

Hi....I used all the surgery lists that float around here.

But.....the only things I did use were

• slip on shoes (summer shoes is what I brought - they slid on easy)
  • cell phone
  • tons of "wet ones" and even gave some to my room mate (she was very Thankful)
  • mouthwash / mouthcare
  • my own "big" pj bottoms.......the one they initially gave me were not comfortable
  • throw away socks
  • throw away undies (easier to throw away than hide lol)
  • PADS PADS PADS ( I almost didn't bring any and the night before at the hotel ....I started and heavy)                                          Thanks to previous posters, I was ready
  • Lip moisturizer of chap stick (it is dry in there plus so are our lips)
  • Reading / movies on phone etc just to pass the time (however, I did sleep most of the time )

Of course all of the other stuff that you would need to get ready to leave the hospital but the truth is...I brought way too much stuff, too much clothes, too much extra little things.

Take care, Tara

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

Leanne1
on 2/25/14 11:37 pm - Newmarket, Canada

comfy clothes 

cel phone and charger .. rather then pay to use the hospital phone

lip balm .. hospitals are dry

slippers .. to walk walk walk

magazines

I took toothpaste/brush, shampoo, conditioner and soap and had a shower before I left the hospital

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Zavz
on 2/26/14 12:56 am - Canada

When I returned home from the hospital for a phone bill. I had been passed out for the first two days and honestly didn't even know there was a phone in my room. Also apparently there was a sign in my room that said that if you don't want phone service you have to tell them. In this day and age with everyone having a cell, i don't know who would want a hospital phone, but just beware and tell them you don't want it at some point or have the person coming with you do it.  Also, there are meds you will have to take home with you. I wasn't told this till Saturday at 11am. The pharmacy closed at 12noon. So my visitor had to run to get them.  If you leaving on a weekend you might want to take care of that on the friday as it isn't something you can get filled anywhere.

Catw
on 2/26/14 1:29 am - Arnprior, Canada

Bring comfy slip on shoes (so you can walk the halls).  Don't bring any clothes, if you wear clean ones, you can wear the same ones home.  Bring a house coat (for walking the halls).  I've been told not to bring jammies, in case you have some seapage, might as well dirty thier gowns instead of yours.  Some will say to bring your Vits with so that they an check them (I did but they didn't check).  Entertainment (phone, ipod).  Bring your own pillow (unless you don't mind theirs).  If you don't bring one to the hospital, make sure your ride home has one (bumps are not fun).  If your feet get cold, bring socks, have some undies and pads, you never know.  Toiletries.

Have a good visit!

Cathy

chipmunk_roasting
on 2/26/14 2:51 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Earplugs and/or sound blocking headphones.

Invaluable for blocking out the noises of the hospital.

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Jiliana2
on 2/26/14 9:57 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I had surgery almost four weeks ago. In my bag, I brought: 

• robe and slippers for walking the halls -- bring slip on shoes/slippers for your feet and a robe if you wish
  • toiletries -- lip balm, toothbrush & toothpaste, my OWN facecloth (ick, I'd NEVER use the ones in the hospital on my face!), shampoo, body wash, deodorant (I showered the day after surgery)
  • comfortable pyjamas -- after my shower I didn't want to put on yet another hospital gown
  • iPhone and iPad and charger -- entertainment was a godsend! 
  • my own pillow -- I used it in the hospital as well as for the ride home to hold against my tummy for protection when going over bumps! 
  • medications not related to the surgery or weight loss that I was taking and were required

I know many people advocate taking ear plugs as well. Take pads if you expect your period while there as well. And make sure the clothes you wear to the hospital are loose/comfortable enough to wear HOME from the hospital. 

Good luc****ep us posted!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Tina G.
on 3/2/14 4:32 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

Hi there:

I see you are almost 4 wks prior to surgery. I am booked for April 9th 2014. In Toronto at Humber River. Where r u being done? U sound so excited and nervous at the same time. I too am feeling the same way. When do you start your Opti Fast? I start Mar 26th for 2 wks. I have my pre op on the 18th of March and I am so nervous about that I can't begin to explain how nervous. I don't do bloodwork very well at all. Everytime they stick me my veins collapse, this being said you can imagine the trouble they have trying to get an IV going..LOL I always end up with the "Sleep Dr"...LOL..anyways if you want to chat write me..Good luck!

lalalalaura13
on 3/4/14 10:21 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi there - yes it's 4 weeks now - i can't believe that.  I'm booked for St. Mike's on April 1st with Dr. Rotstein.  I was originally scheduled for February 10 but it got postponed.  I start back on the Opti tomorrow for 4 weeks - ugh.  That's going to be rough.  I had only been through 3 days of Opti when I was told that my surgery was postponed. And yes, excited/nervous/scared, take your pick - I'm feeling them all! I know I've lost weight since I was notified of the postponement - people have been telling me that they notice the weight loss.  Have no idea how much I've lost but I can definitely see it in my face.  I've told some people here at my work that I'm having this surgery and the response has been extremely supportive - everyone is really excited for me. 

Tina G.
on 3/5/14 3:48 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

Hi Laura,

Where are you from? Your going to have it done at St. Micheal's. I have had both my shoulder's operated on there. So I know the OR there..LOL

Wow you are going to be on the Opti for 4 wks. I am only on it for 2 wks. I start it on the 26th of March and surgery is at Humber River on Finch St on April 9th. I too am excited, nervous, scared, but also very happy to get my life back on track. I can't wait to get off most of the meds I take.

I am sorry I have tons of questions, if you don't want to answer I understand. The same goes for you, please feel free to ask me anything as well. Are you married/children, how old are you? I am married with two children the oldest is now 22 and and youngest 20. I am 43, been married 25 yrs this coming October. I am having this surgery for medical reasons, but I am overweight and it will be nice to be thin again. I am not talking no Barbie doll look but a nice healthy number once again. If you are from out of town for your surgery I am curious to know if St. Mike's has told you to stay at a  hotel for a night or two when you are released from hospital. My surgery is with Dr.Klein/Dr.Gazier and Humber has made it quite clear that I need to stay at a hotel a night or two after surgery because I live more than an hour from the hospital. I live in Buckhorn, Ontario.

I am so pleased to hear you have been open about your surgery with your co workers and that they are all supportive of you. What do you do? I have not wored in the last 10 years because of a car accident I was in, but I have getting a job as one of my goals after surgery. With everyone else at home working or in college I am so bored...LOL.

Thanks for replying to me. Would love to hear from you as you go thru this journey. Good luck!..It's funny to think that you go in for surgery and I will be on my last wk of opti and then you will go home and I will go in for surgery 8 days after you...lol

Most Active